Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

How to sell my iPhone 3G?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
How to sell my iPhone 3G?

I have come to the conclusion that I would like to ugrade to the new iPhone 4 despite the reception issues. I have become too comfortable with the iPhone to switch to another brand and the standard 3G is just too slow with the new OS4. Additionally, I have been eligible for an upgrade for a while now.

After browsing Ebay, it seems that I can easily dump my 3G and pay for the new one while putting a few sheckles in my pocket at the same time.

What I would like to know is the following:
-What are these things worth (ballpark)? They vary A LOT online. If I can get $200 for it and cover the cost of my new one I will be a happy camper, but if I can get more, great.
-Should I unlock it first? Does it need to be? My phone is not jailbroken or anything.
-Should I clear the memory prior to shipping beyond what iTunes allows for? I am a little uncomfortable with shipping my phone to someone after I have been putting through tons of sensitive info into it for a while now. Doing a restore seems sufficient but you never know...

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Teamspeed Member
HassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura about
Just list in your ad the shortfalls and failures of the iPhone 4, and yours will be sold like hot cupcakes

Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Nav
Teamspeed Senior Member
Nav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond repute
price? depends on the condition..... there is a guy in the buy/sell forum here listing a 3g 8GB iphone in perfect condition for $200....

i wouldnt bother unlocking/jailbreaking it, unless the buyer specifically requests
it....its not very hard to do anyways, let them deal with it themselves.....

regarding your data, check out this link How to Format iPhone Memory Completely-Scrub all data - Clivir - How to Lessons, Tips & Tutorials

Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
You limit your target audience by not jailbreaking/unlocking it. Many people that are already looking at an iPhone can easily just go to AT&T, sign the contract, and walk out with a new iPhone for the same price. I sold my gen 1 iPhone back in Feb for $200. Some people (current AT&T customers) do not want to pay the data plan for the phone, and T-Mobile customers just want a phone that they can place the SIM in and it will work. The jailbreaking/unlocking part is pretty simple, but getting the phone to come on without touching AT&T's Edge/3G network is a little more involved. Just my .02.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond repute
I'm selling my Vaja case on eBay if anyone wants it for the 3G. Just picked up the iPhone 4 a few days ago so I no longer have use for it.

Vaja Brown Special Edition Leather Flip Case iPhone 3G - eBay (item 300449158808 end time Jul-26-10 18:33:06 PDT)

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond repute
I sold my 3G 8GB on eBay for $177. Only $199 upgrade to the iPhone 4 16GB... win win.