Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Video editing software

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Video editing software

I just have the basic iMovie that came with my MacBook. Easy, intuitive, but no features whatsoever. Specifically, how do you blur out portions of the video (i.e. license plates)? I assume that's not a feature of the base iMovie app?
What are your recs for a good editing program for the beginner/intermediate user?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
EVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it does that. Try Final Cut or Final Cut Express.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Not really sure I need FC for my needs. Just some basic effects/editing capability. Plus, it's $1000...jeez.
What sort of stuff can you do with FCE?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Final Cut Express

That should more than cover your needs.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
sal
Teamspeed Senior Member
sal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant future
Final Cut Express is definitely the way to go if you don't need the whole suite. It has way more power than iMovie, but if you are just looking to blur out a license plate, it may be worth just searching for an iMovie effect you could download and use.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by JCay
Final Cut Express

That should more than cover your needs.
Originally Posted by sal
Final Cut Express is definitely the way to go if you don't need the whole suite. It has way more power than iMovie, but if you are just looking to blur out a license plate, it may be worth just searching for an iMovie effect you could download and use.

Well, blurring is just one effect that would be nice to have. But I'm not making feature films here. Would just be nice to have some more options than adding text or inserting transitions. FCE it is. Thanks for the recs!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bought FCE 4 over the weekend. Been playing with it and I gotta say it is NOT intuitive at all. My first clip.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/997-996...tml#post667962

Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Been playing with it and I gotta say it is NOT intuitive at all.
Neither is driving a GT3 in anger. It's not supposed to be. It's a tool for professionals to do a very specific job, which means there's a learning curve involved. There are many good resources out there for learning Final Cut, and once you get the timeline and workflow down, you'll be in good shape.

As for blurring license plates, you want to create a matte over the plate area and then apply a blur filter to it. The trick is if the video moves, you must re-adjust the matte every few frames. Tedious, but just about everything in professional video editing is.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Simba
Neither is driving a GT3 in anger. It's not supposed to be. It's a tool for professionals to do a very specific job, which means there's a learning curve involved. There are many good resources out there for learning Final Cut, and once you get the timeline and workflow down, you'll be in good shape.

As for blurring license plates, you want to create a matte over the plate area and then apply a blur filter to it. The trick is if the video moves, you must re-adjust the matte every few frames. Tedious, but just about everything in professional video editing is.
But they must realize that the vast majority of their consumers are NOT professional video editors that would still like some of the functionality of FCE. Guess I was hoping that Apple was still idiot proof like the days of these badboys

I finally figured out how to do the blur thing. But after an hour of trying to create and insert a simple title page at the beginning of my vid, I gave up

Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
You did what you wanted... nice. AND, it worked (even nicer). All editing software is a pita until you learn your way around. I like Premiere Pro CS for whatever reason; well, I just like it. To be honest, it took me about a year to find ALL of its potential.

Looks like you did the right thing; get in and play around a bit... just like jr. high

Quick Reply: Video editing software