Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

iPhone OS 4.0 coming this thursday

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
iPhone OS 4.0 coming this thursday

Could be an announcement could be the release.

what do you want from this, I know I want multi tasking and Flash support, although the world is moving to HTML5 but it would good to have.

Discuss.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I was going to wait for the new phone, just ditched the idea and got myself a Sony Ericsson X10 such a terrific phone.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be very surprised if it included flash support, since Jobs basically came out and tried to kill Adobe. Definitely think at this point they will need to add something like multi-tasking, in order to keep people from jumping to another mobile phone OS.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
I would more interested in flash than multi tasking, the iphone battery is bad as is, with multi taskig it will just be a bad combo, I use my phone to browse more than i use it to compute.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I want world peace, bunny rabbits and...........oh wait.........

sorry, wrong thread. ****awkward***

Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by edbhr
I would more interested in flash than multi tasking, the iphone battery is bad as is, with multi taskig it will just be a bad combo, I use my phone to browse more than i use it to compute.
Yeah... flash would be great. But according to Papa Jobs, Flash is a pig dog that is unpopular and nobody uses. I don't see him going back on his words, he's way too proud for that. But you never know...

Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Flash support will never happen on any Apple phone-esque device, ever, for two reasons:

1) Apple wants to control the extensibility and user experience of the device-- there are a lot of things you can do with flash that Apple does not want people to do with the device. Further, flash isn't the most stable thing in the world, and crashing iPhones is not something The Steve is willing to permit.

2) Adobe will not make an Apple device centric branch of flash. It's "all or nothing", so, it's nothing.

You can't really fault Jobs for the decision. So far as display level stuff goes, there isn't much you can do with Flash that you can't do with HTML5 and stupid browser tricks. It's the "other stuff" you can't do, and that's precisely what he doesn't want on the devices.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond repute
Multiple exchange accounts is a big thing for me. Does this mean I can setup my GMail and Google hosted work e-mail to get "push" e-mail like a blackberry?

Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
• Multitasking: It's here, finally. It's handled with a simple task switcher: double click your home button, and you get a list of running apps. Select, switch, done. Multitasking is limited to audio streaming, VoIP and GPS apps, as well as a few other allowances: they can finish specific, important tasks in the background, for example. As far as non-music/nav/VoIP apps, those can be suspended in the background, but not left running. (See below.) Full details here.

Multitasking have been produced to not drain battery thanks to smart coding.

• Fast app switching: With iPhone 4's multitasking, most apps aren't actually running in the background—just certain functions of the app, like an audio stream or a GPS lock. But! All apps can now be frozen, in full, so that when you reopen them, they're restored to exactly the state they were in when they were closed.

• Local notifications: Notifications can be sent between apps on the phone, not just from remote servers. In other words, if something important happens in an app you've opened and moved away from, a notification will pop up in whatever app you're using at the time, effectively saying "switch back to me!" It's a fairly clever way to keep track of multiple apps without the need for a start bar or dock-type interface. From Apple's dev guidelines:

• iAd advertising: It looks like Apple's finally making use of Quattro, that mobile ad company it gobbled up a few months ago, by rolling out its own advertising platform, a turnkey ad plugin for app developers called iAd. The theory here is that instead of relying on links to external websites, which pull users out of apps whenever they tap on an ad, developers can use Apple's new tools to keep people in the app while still showing them advertising—sort of like popover browser windows. You can watch videos, play games, and even buy apps from within these ads. This is in the iPhone OS 4 developer tools, but it's not explicitly a part of OS 4, so you won't see apps with iAds until later this year. Full details here.

• 5x digital zoom: Could this hint at a higher quality camera in the next hardware? 3.2 megapixels seems a bit low for 5x digital zoom.

• Bluetooth keyboards: Another carryover from the iPad, Bluetooth keyboard support will finally come to iPhone 4.

iPhone OS 4.0: All the New Features - iPhone - Gizmodo

So the OS will arrive in June and will be free for the iPhones. Multitouching will only work on the 3GS and the 3rd-gen iPod Touch. Most of the other stuff will work on all Touches and older iPhones. The OS will come to the Pad in the fall.

I can't wait until this will be available for download!

Last edited by Bronto; 04-08-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Is this gonna make it to the iPad?

Quick Reply: iPhone OS 4.0 coming this thursday