Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Breathing on my 997S

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Verde is an unknown quantity at this point
Breathing on my 997S

I've had my 997S Cab for some time now (it's a 2005), and am considering adding a supercharger for added power. I do not expect to do this work myself, and am happy to ship my gal off to a shop. Though cost does matter, quality and reputation take priority.
I've seen references to a few names VF (cited in this forum), RUF, and others. It's very hard to find reviews, references and other citations and editorials that would give me confidence that I'm handing her over to the right people with the right product and service.
This is my daily driver, and so reliability and driveability really matter. I hope that those factors can be satisfied while reaching 550+ horsepower. I don't actually know if this is realistic, but it's the goal. Oh, and I don't often drive the car hard. The high end of the power would be for occasional forays of excitement.
Can anyone provide help or references?
Thanks in advance,
Verde

Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
I think Ruf is the priciest option but they will warranty your engine. I have not read anything bad about their particular supercharger system. I am not that well read on these systems.
For the money it costs, you should consider getting a 997 turbo unless you're living at higher altitudes.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Verde is an unknown quantity at this point
Really? A new turbo is about $145K. The RUF kit is about $28K installed. Since my 997 is paid for, seems like a huge gap.
The other issue is that I really want to stick with RWD. I know that the Turbo AWD is a precision machine but it just doesn't have the same feel. It may be all psychological (it's tough to do a double blind driving test) but the road feel just seems better in the RWD models.
If they had made a turbo/RWD car when I was buying mine, I might have considered it. But then, as now, they don't.
Interesting that the GT's (2 and 3) are only served up in RWD.
Thanks,
Verde