Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

997 Engine knock, exploring options

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Chambema is an unknown quantity at this point
997 Engine knock, exploring options

Trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation...

So I have a 2005 997 with a VF engineering supercharger producing over 500 hp at the crank. 26K miles and 1 DE day at the track (last weekend). Engine started making a knocking noise the evening after the track event and I immediately shut it down and trailered to the local independent Porsche mechanic. He pulled the sump plate and there is no evidence of debris, metal shavings or other abnormality within the oil. Source of the engine noise is unknown at present but may be from a rod or cylinder head, possibly due to a misfire. Exploring options moving forward. Currently considering sending the car to Jake at flat six to have him work his magic but would lose forced induction. Does anyone know what this car would be worth as is? Any serious offers?

Thank you for your time.

Mark

Attached Images  

Last edited by Chambema; 10-08-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Nemesis is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a C2S with bolt ons (intake/exhaust, cat bypass) but a good friend of mine has a similar setup like yours.

VF supercharger but I don't think he makes 500hp. However he does track the car quite often. He had a similar issue at one point where there was a knocking noise and the motor was running a little rough. No CEL, smoke, or any warning lights, which is when we began to worry.

Having done the IMS retrofit we weren't sure where to begin. Having worked with 996's for quite some time I assumed it could be a valve problem. After getting the car to my house I plugged in my Snapon (Modus at the time), and it turned out to be a misfire in one of the banks BUT it wouldn't tell us which one...regardless, whenever there's a misfire the CEL almost always pops on.

We tried swapping plugs out to see if we could find the culprit which was when the CEL finally came on. He was due for plugs anyway so we went ahead and did a new set of OE Porsche plugs and all was well.

Hope this helps.