Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Test drove the 991 and....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:50 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KimmSpeed
Thanks for the post. Since the release of the 993 (especially the S models) I have seen female drivers of nearly everyone on the road. I do not mean this to be a sexist post at all; just an observation and perhaps an underscore for the type of drivers who tend to prefer refinement at this level. I have yet to drive one myself but you are not the first to explain the car’s over refinement. I’m still head over heels for the last GT3RS and GT2. I doubt it’ll get much better than those were any time soon.
+1 for a possible end to an era.
That would be by design. Porsche is paying attention to the fastest growing market segment- FEMALE buyers. They have, in effect, made cars much more refined- versus men. As men we deal with quirks, noises, squeeks, sub par radio's and firm rides.

Women? ahhh not so much.

The good news? The 997 GTS is a helluva car.

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The only really negative thing I've heard about the 991 is the steering.

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:51 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marakji
I'm picking up my 991S tomorrow, and I ain't feeling any excitement... Although I drove the demo 2-3 weeks ago, and I loved it... Had a 2011 997 GT3 before that, did the trade in before the over-supply and drop in value of all 997s... Not sure what car I envy having anymore...
Let's revisit this tomorrow when you pick up your baby...

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
I drove them back to back extensively.

997 love it! No doubt.

991 very different. As big of a difference from 993-996.

997 vs. 991 - On a short drive or even on a street drive any real Porsche fan will be disappointed IMO. Car feels bigger drives softer blah blah blah

Now on a fast hard drive, or in my case an autocross course with as many 997 to 991 comparisons you want 991 hands down SLAUGHTERS the 997. It also feels more nimble than the Cayman S!(I own one)

One other thing that I have found insane is the level of grip 991 has over 997. A lot of the fun factor is getting to play with the backend and find the edge. I've had a few 997 owners say its not in the new car. Oh it is you just need to go SO MUCH FASTER to feel any of it.

So once again It's like I have said in the past Porsche has been very vocal through the years about trying to create the "perfect" car. Well is this the perfect 911? For the times YES as the 997 was for its time and the 996 and the 993 and so on and so on....

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:56 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
That would be by design. Porsche is paying attention to the fastest growing market segment- FEMALE buyers. They have, in effect, made cars much more refined- versus men. As men we deal with quirks, noises, squeeks, sub par radio's and firm rides.

Women? ahhh not so much.

So regarding the 991 they finally built a car that appeals to you- FEMALE.

Old 03-06-2012 | 06:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
KimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutKimmSpeed has a spectacular aura about
... As men we deal with quirks, noises, squeeks, sub par radio's and firm rides.
Cheers to all of the above. I hope they apply the GTS formula properly to the 991. Here's to hoping they do. Happy 5:00 from the central time zone!

Old 03-06-2012 | 06:05 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by Marc
So regarding the 991 they finally built a car that appeals to you- FEMALE.
says the guy who rides a girls Ducati!

Originally Posted by KimmSpeed
Cheers to all of the above. I hope they apply the GTS formula properly to the 991. Here's to hoping they do. Happy 5:00 from the central time zone!
Cheers to you my friend! Drink one for me!

Old 03-06-2012 | 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
gray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to allgray911 is a name known to all
We have ta wait for the 2014 GT3 then!

Old 03-06-2012 | 06:54 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
says the guy who rides a girls Ducati!

Cheers to you my friend! Drink one for me!

Hahaha Monster 796 not a chic bike, 696 maybe. Anyways I sold it. Have something else arriving year end

Old 03-07-2012 | 07:04 AM
|
Teamspeed Member
kabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond repute
I am glad to see that a lot of you out there share my point of view. MARAKJI good luck on your delivery. I guess you will have a lot to tell us having owned a GT3. A word of advice, do not compare the two cars to find out which is best, they are both and will always be of a different breed.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 991 and....