Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

New Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) laps the Nurburgring in 7 min. 40 sec

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I think its safe to confirm the real official time is: 7:37.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The car doesnt seem that expensive anymore does it?!

Well done Porsche! Giving the CUSTOMERS the power to have a ridiculously good street car or a ridiculously good track car or both. And giving the CUSTOMERS the power to equip it in such a way that the aftermarket looks like a gigantic waste of time. All while maintianing warranty!!!!!!!!!

991 Carrera S with all the FACTORY sport options(at twice the price for the hell of it) > Aftermarket any day!

As far as the comment of the car not going to be reliable enough gimme a break man lol. Porsche isnt stupid....

Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZEM930
As far as the comment of the car not going to be reliable enough gimme a break man lol. Porsche isnt stupid....
As always, totally agree with your post, specifically this point. Porsche didn't do 3 trillion miles of testing on the 991 for nothing.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
As always, totally agree with your post, specifically this point. Porsche didn't do 3 trillion miles of testing on the 991 for nothing.
Guys, you are right, Porsche is porsche. But there's still a reason why the GT models don't have the new DFI. And I wouldn't be surprised If the next GT3 and GT2 still use the metzger. Its definitely more reliable and solid than the new one.
And they know exactly what this engine is capable of in extreme conditions from years and years and years of motorsport.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Turboholic
Guys, you are right, Porsche is porsche. But there's still a reason why the GT models don't have the new DFI. And I wouldn't be surprised If the next GT3 and GT2 still use the metzger. Its definitely more reliable and solid than the new one.
And they know exactly what this engine is capable of in extreme conditions from years and years and years of motorsport.
The Mezger has been officially retired, specifically for the reasons that it has too many parts, and makes no sense to make two totally different engines for virtually the same car. So more than likely, the GT cars will get the 9A1.

And I don't know why, but many think the 9A1 engine is terrible, and falls apart if you push it hard.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
The Mezger has been officially retired, specifically for the reasons that it has too many parts, and makes no sense to make two totally different engines for virtually the same car. So more than likely, the GT cars will get the 9A1.

And I don't know why, but many think the 9A1 engine is terrible, and falls apart if you push it hard.
I find it hysterical that people feel Porsche of all companies needs to prove anything. There not going to go backwords. If they replace the motor it is for a good reason. they have nothing to prove and I wouldnt think twice about running one on track. It's teh internet kool-aid. Everyone that knows nothing drinks it lol. Mezger!?!? Who gives a crap. If Porsche can make it better(which they can) let them I say :-)

Old 09-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
so again, someone confirm and explain this to me like i am a 6 year old:

the new 991 Carrera S lapped the 'ring faster than a 2010 3.8L 997 Twin Turbo?!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Doesnt sound like you need an explanation. It is what it is. If you purchase all of those "CRAZY OPTIONS" you get a crazy fast car. Like I've said earlier you can get one hell of a 911 without many options or you can get a Turbo/GT3 fighter if you so wish. Amazing for them to do this IMO.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
The new car comes with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as standard as opposed to Pilot Sport 2s, how influential do you think these tires are? It would be interesting to see a 997 run the 'Ring in PS2s then in PSSs to get a nice delta time. I know the 2012 ZR1 beat its old time by 6 seconds by switching to new tires (those were Pilot Sport Cups, however).

Just a thought

Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mahzari
The new car comes with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as standard as opposed to Pilot Sport 2s, how influential do you think these tires are? It would be interesting to see a 997 run the 'Ring in PS2s then in PSSs to get a nice delta time. I know the 2012 ZR1 beat its old time by 6 seconds by switching to new tires (those were Pilot Sport Cups, however).

Just a thought
Thanks for the info on the tires..I dindt know this..just a few other comments from my side:

1) the 9A1 engine ist certainly not made for going racing at 100% for a longer time..in fact the 9A1 engine starts to have some issues with injectors which ends up as complete engine melt down..game over..lets hope it does not become a new RMS..there are numerous cases already

2) 991 GT3 will not have Mezger engine..thats more or less 100% sure now..but Porsche will run into enourmous risk in early 2014 as ist wil start its Motorsport activities with this new engine + delivering the first customer cars - the risk of the first ones have some issues is highw..with the Mezger engine Porsche knew what it had..that advantage will be gone.

3) about the 991 lap time: in germany here there is a magazine where Mr Achleitner mentioned: .."unsere beste Runde mit dem 991 war eine 7:40"..translated that means: our BEST lap with a 991 was 7:40...what we dont know is how it was done..which tires? racing suspension setup ? + it was Walter Röhrl who drove...he apparently also did the GT2RS in 7:18..in the end Sport Auto did 7:24. So, still 6 seconds of the claimed time.

Therefore, we can only wait for the independet test..officially claimed times are worth not so much..an independent test is what we need

PS; I believe the Sport Auto test will be around 7:44..lets see

Quick Reply: New Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) laps the Nurburgring in 7 min. 40 sec