Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

New Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) laps the Nurburgring in 7 min. 40 sec

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
^ ya typical. Porsches are known for being unreliable and unstable. That's why you don't see any porsche on a trackday.

Last edited by Turboholic; 09-20-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by destaccado
Ya -- you'll be able to do about 2 laps before you have to let the 9A1 engine block cool....

Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
destaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turboholic
^ ya typical. Porsches are known for being unreliable and unstable. That's why you don't see any porsche on a trackday.
Actually they're known for being extremely reliable and stable -- that's why the Nurburgring is always filled with Metzger variants. Ironically -- the only non Metzger 911 I saw at the ring last time I was there was the Carrera 4 I was driving. I'll let you know how many I see at the track day this coming Tuesday...

If you want to excuse Porsche dropping their Motorsports derived engine -- go ahead...I foresee an extremely expensive day for anyone who decides to take their new 991 to the ring and drive it at 10/10....

Last edited by destaccado; 09-21-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant future
impressive time

Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Actually they're known for being extremely reliable and stable -- that's why the Nurburgring is always filled with Metzger variants. Ironically -- the only non Metzger 911 I saw at the ring last time I was there was the Carrera 4 I was driving. I'll let you know how many I see at the track day this coming Tuesday...

If you want to excuse Porsche dropping their Motorsports derived engine -- go ahead...I foresee an extremely expensive day for anyone who decides to take their new 991 to the ring and drive it at 10/10....
^ now I know whats the problem. the metzger engine is indeed a bulletproof engine with a very high limit. The new GT3 won't come with an PDK option, that could be a hint that they will still use the metzger engine in the 991 gt variants. this however could be a hint that the DFI is still not good enough for 10/10. BUT it will be good enough for 8/10 or 9/10. That should be enough for a trackday.
Or were there any troubles with your Carrera 4?
Yes let me know, I'm very curious about it.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
destaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond reputedestaccado has a reputation beyond repute
There were no troubles with it -- because I parked it and drove a rental Lotus on the actual track

Where did you hear the next GT3 won't offer PDK? I truly hope the next GT3 does offer the Metzger - I'll be first in line to buy it...I was under the impression the RS 4.0 was the 'swansong'...

Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
There were no troubles with it -- because I parked it and drove a rental Lotus on the actual track

Where did you hear the next GT3 won't offer PDK? I truly hope the next GT3 does offer the Metzger - I'll be first in line to buy it...I was under the impression the RS 4.0 was the 'swansong'...
Interview from Matthias Müller from Porsche. You can read it somewhere in this forum.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
7.40 stock?! didn't the 997 turbo (2010) do it in 7.38?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Windchaser911 is on a distinguished roadWindchaser911 is on a distinguished roadWindchaser911 is on a distinguished roadWindchaser911 is on a distinguished roadWindchaser911 is on a distinguished roadWindchaser911 is on a distinguished road
Impressive!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Serious question. Would it be fair to say that a car set up specifically for the NUR would actually find itself not very well set up for modern race tracks?

I wish in Australia they'd use Mt Panorama for testing in the same way. Then at least I could relate it to something tangible.

Cheers,
Nik

Quick Reply: New Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) laps the Nurburgring in 7 min. 40 sec