Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

New here...996 4s vs 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jamie
C4S more satisfying to drive with much nicer exhaust note. TT is much faster, but the clutch and shifter and really clunky.
ditch the hydraulics for $800 and that problem is fixed

- chuck

Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
^^ I'm going with Jamie. For the $$ the C4S is more pleasurable.

If you're going to spend the coin for the TT; forget it and go get a 997 C2S. Much more refined, fun, better fit and finish, better controls, classic '911' look etc etc.
But he would have a wet sumper and not a GT1 racing engine block.

I think it was a total sham that Porsche ripped people off with that crappy wet sumper M96, M97, and now the A91. If they had stuck with M64, the volume of it would have made it very profitable, and it wouldn't involve shortchanging non Turbo (and not even that at 997.2) owners.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
Besides the 4S costing less. The Turbo wins. In roughly the same price range of the Turbo is the 996 GT3. That might be a little impractical though.
I DD'ed a 996 GT2, as long as you don't use the GT seats and use the U.S. sports seats, and have a good supply of front lip spioler, the 996 GT cars are very very useable.

Oh, and don't carry raw fish or meat in the luggage compartment, unless you want them seared.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Get a turbo, C4S no matter how good it is just doesn't compare.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
rafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to all
Hello,

I come back to you after having tried both cars...and a 9972s and 4s.

My conclusion is that the power of the turbo is not yet made for me! I won't forget this test, and will definitely go to it in few years time (hopefully will be able to target a 997 tt).

So to come back to my main problem...it is somehow solved ;-)!!!
But not completely! I really love the 997. Of course the engine is not a M64, but still I love the way it goes in regimes and the way the car handle.

The question is now gettin a 997 S (or 4s) or a 996 4s.
Do you think I should wait few months (after summer) the presentation of the New 911 in order the prices of 997 to get a bit down? Are they going to fall a bit more?
And at what price can i find a nice 997 (I am not very attached to the number of miles, I believe that if the car has always been followed properly it is Ok)?

For the turbo, i will have a small taste next week... I receive my Cayenne Turbo and will post you pictures.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND Porschely yours

Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
A few points to make here:

1) Don't be so sure about the horsepower. One of the immutable laws of motoring is that no matter how much power you have, you get used to it within a few weeks, and generally want more. You could argue that the implication of this is to be happy with the lower-powered car, but you could also argue that you should step up to a Turbo, as the upgrade path is easier. Either way, in the long-run, a stock Turbo won't feel like too much car.

2) The flip side of this is that a great chassis never gets old, and the driving rewards of a 997 C2S will undoubtedly impress you over the older platform and AWD of the 996 C4S.

3) Another somewhat counterintuitive point is that big horsepower is generally more useful and rewarding on the street, rather than on the track (up to a point where traction becomes a continual problem). Go to a track day and see all the guys in Miatas and Boxsters tearing it up. Go to the same track with an extra hundred horsepower, and see how you're only going a bit faster at the end of the straight, and your lap times are only a few seconds lower. But now you're blowing up engines, burning through tires, break pads and rotors, and realizing that the horsepower is masking your driving mistakes. On the street, however, you're having a lot more fun. Never mind street-racing, and nonsense like that, everyday driving is a lot more enjoyable with horsepower. You can blast up through the first three gears all day long. The wave of Turbo torque really comes into its own, and you don't care as much to have the precise throttle response of a normally-aspirated engine like you do on the track.

Anyway, conclusion, same as before, go buy the Turbo!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
A few points to make here:

1) Don't be so sure about the horsepower. One of the immutable laws of motoring is that no matter how much power you have, you get used to it within a few weeks, and generally want more. You could argue that the implication of this is to be happy with the lower-powered car, but you could also argue that you should step up to a Turbo, as the upgrade path is easier. Either way, in the long-run, a stock Turbo won't feel like too much car.

2) The flip side of this is that a great chassis never gets old, and the driving rewards of a 997 C2S will undoubtedly impress you over the older platform and AWD of the 996 C4S.

3) Another somewhat counterintuitive point is that big horsepower is generally more useful and rewarding on the street, rather than on the track (up to a point where traction becomes a continual problem). Go to a track day and see all the guys in Miatas and Boxsters tearing it up. Go to the same track with an extra hundred horsepower, and see how you're only going a bit faster at the end of the straight, and your lap times are only a few seconds lower. But now you're blowing up engines, burning through tires, break pads and rotors, and realizing that the horsepower is masking your driving mistakes. On the street, however, you're having a lot more fun. Never mind street-racing, and nonsense like that, everyday driving is a lot more enjoyable with horsepower. You can blast up through the first three gears all day long. The wave of Turbo torque really comes into its own, and you don't care as much to have the precise throttle response of a normally-aspirated engine like you do on the track.

Anyway, conclusion, same as before, go buy the Turbo!
+1! The 996 turbo is a bargain these days. you get so much for such little outlay (compared to what the first owner paid).