Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

New here...996 4s vs 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
rafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to all
New here...996 4s vs 996 TT

Good morning,

I am new here and I would like to present myself and find some advice amongst you!

I am a car enthousiast since I am little and felt in love with Porsche when I was 12, in Roma while the conservator of the Capitol Museum jumped into a beige-gold 996 cab. I don't really know why but this image is the event that make me like porsche more than I should!!!
I can't believe too that this passion was created by a 996 who is really hated by most car enthousiast!

However, I am now able to properly integrate the 911 world. Now, which to buy or not to buy is the question!
To be quick, I am contemplating buying a 996 4s or a 996 Turbo.

I love them both, but they both have some things the other have not...such as a nearly bullet proof engine for the Turbo, or an incredible back for the 4s. I am also contemplating the musicality of both...heard amazing turbo and Dyson® Turbo...but 4s seems to be singing a bit more with the PSE than Turbo does...

So I am very very happy of any help and clues on those models

Thank you very much, Merry Christmas!

R

Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
the Turbo will give you a sensation the Carrera can never imitate... the budgets should be different too... i agree with you, the naturally aspirated engine sounds far better, and the wingless rear of the 4S is better looking, but the 996 Turbo is a beast... once you drive a 911 Turbo, you'll never go back... go for a 996 Turbo manual, and don't look back...

Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
TT, no question about it

Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
If you have to ask the question then you will be more than satisfied with the 4S.

Having experienced both, the 4S is a lovely car with more than enough straight-line speed. Once you feel the torque of the turbo pushing you back into the seat it is difficult to go back.

My recommendation is to get the 4S and never drive the turbo. You will save a few bucks and be very satisfied.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
rafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to allrafattorney is a name known to all
Thank you very much for those first answers.

I am so balanced...

I see that both cars have pro and cons. But I have more heard about the strenght and durability of the TT engine...
At the same time, a 4s would be enough...as it would be a weekend car, and some time DD. One point is that I don't really want to get rid of it after few years, I would like to keep it as first part of a collection and also as "reminder" of first super car.

I tried both of them and drove several time 997 4s.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
I used to own a 996 C4S, and have driven a few 996TTs. The cars are almost identical in many ways, but the main differnces are:

1) Sound: C4S w/ exhaust (Porsche Sport Exhaust or aftermarket) sounds better.
2) Reponsiveness: C4S has more snappy throttle response.
3) Everything else: Turbo, by a mile.

Don't buy a Tiptronic, though.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
with only basic understanding, id look for an 03+ turbo...

not sure about a C4S as far as year model, but if you 'think' you'll be fine with a non-turbo, id take kburn's advice...

Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond repute
I've had both cars and have to say I enjoyed the C4S most. It's very usable and looks great (for a 996) - especially from the rear 3/4 angle. The Turbo is a truly great car too but a little less usable on a day-to-day basis. Whichever you opt for, you'll have a blast - just make sure you buy a manual in either case.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
I drive my TT on a daily basis in the summer and shoulder seasons. LOVE IT!!! An everyday supercar.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Get the one with the M64 and forget about the wetsumper crap.