Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Death of the 911? What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:07 AM
|
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Death of the 911? What's next?

In the latest excellence, Chris Harris opines:

"The 911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars -- a product that wallows in past glories; one that has lost direction."

Whether you agree with him or not, the question is being asked seriously. Personally, I agree with most of his opinions in the editiorial. Fundamentally, 911s are no longer the special cars they once were. He suggests that the only 911s that live up to their roots are the GT models.

If you take the assumption that he's correct, then what's the next step for a sports car enthusiast to take? It's easy to say, "Get a Ferrari or Lamborghini", but the reality is that I like the whole "Porsche" thing. I like that the maintenance is not outrageous. I like that I can drive it year-round. I like that insurance doesn't murder me. I like that cops don't pay it too much attention. I could go on and on...

I've consider the V8 Aston in the past, but a lengthy test drive full of camera phone antics, people chasing me on the freeway, etc., killed that deal. The Audi R8 doesn't do much for me. So then, what? I really like the Scuderia, but it couldn't replace the 911 for the reasons mentioned above.

My conclusion is that I need to just start buying outstanding examples of earlier, more special 911s. Cars like the RS America, Carrera Clubsport, a cherry '96 993 Carrera with few options.

What are your thoughts?

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:20 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Chris is my favorite journalist out there right now, makes me want to run out and buy an RS

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:32 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
He is spot on regular 911 (997)variants are mass produced cars the GT cars are the ones that are true sports cars.

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:43 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that the run of the mill 911 has become somewhat stale, and that it is the 5series of sports cars. I do disagree with you on the Aston front, and I think it's a worthy replacement if thats what you are looking for. Does it really matter that people take pictures of it? (it's all personal, but it wouldn't kill the deal for me). Perhaps a nice used DB9 would be a good car, or a Maser.

If I were facing the same dilemma I would look at the following options: a 911Targa (because it's slightly more special), a GT3, a 2009 Maser MC ('09 to be sure I get cambio corsa) or a used DB9 (the V8 just lacks the power), I would even consider the Skyline which Marc and Tim seem to really enjoy.

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:58 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
In the latest excellence, Chris Harris opines:

"The 911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars -- a product that wallows in past glories; one that has lost direction."

Whether you agree with him or not, the question is being asked seriously. Personally, I agree with most of his opinions in the editiorial. Fundamentally, 911s are no longer the special cars they once were. He suggests that the only 911s that live up to their roots are the GT models.

If you take the assumption that he's correct, then what's the next step for a sports car enthusiast to take? It's easy to say, "Get a Ferrari or Lamborghini", but the reality is that I like the whole "Porsche" thing. I like that the maintenance is not outrageous. I like that I can drive it year-round. I like that insurance doesn't murder me. I like that cops don't pay it too much attention. I could go on and on...

I've consider the V8 Aston in the past, but a lengthy test drive full of camera phone antics, people chasing me on the freeway, etc., killed that deal. The Audi R8 doesn't do much for me. So then, what? I really like the Scuderia, but it couldn't replace the 911 for the reasons mentioned above.

My conclusion is that I need to just start buying outstanding examples of earlier, more special 911s. Cars like the RS America, Carrera Clubsport, a cherry '96 993 Carrera with few options.

What are your thoughts?
I agree 100% with everything you've said, but even the Aston (for me) is too soft and too gaudy. I hate the "look at me" rides, and that was one of the great things about past Porsches: they didn't stand out. They were not loud, raucous Camaros or Mustangs. They were not fragile Ferraris or Masers. They were smart, sensible, driver's cars that could be driven every day ... and they mercilessly punished the gold-chain set (what would, today, probably be the faux-hawk set). That is exactly what a sportscar should be, I think.

Old 12-21-2010 | 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
frshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond repute
I completely agree with the posts above. I can't wait to get my first Porsche, and every thing the OP said is spot and is why I want one. I'm longing for the 997 TT. I feel that this is a very special 911, as well as a gt3/gt2. A co worker of mine recently picked up
a maserati gt and I was considering that car as a future purchase. The M5/6 are nice cars as well, one could lean toward this direction and I'm also quite fond of the R8. I currently have a G35 so any of the said cars would satisfy me lol.

Old 12-21-2010 | 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to disagree.

I definetly feel that that the GT 911's are much more special, but that's with every generation of 911's. I find the only problem with the non GT 911's is that they aren't sporty enough.

Old 12-21-2010 | 03:38 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
If any of you have NEVER had real seat time in a 'just' a 997S or C2 coupe, might I suggest you not really know what a special car is.

Spend time in one of those cars- versus a lot of others, and you'll quickly know what those of us who have had the pleasure of knowing for a quite a while.

There is nothing 'not special' about a 911.

edit: if you've not DRIVEN any 997 variant, you should keep your opinion to yourself. You have not a clue wtf you're talking about.

Have a nice day.

Old 12-21-2010 | 04:07 PM
|
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I've owned two 997s now ('06 C2S, '09 C4S) and I understand where Harris is coming from. I don't necessarily agree with everything he wrote, but the gist is there. Porsche needs to tighten up the formula with their crown jewel. I wouldn't keep loving Porsches if my car were crap.

Maybe the solution for me is to just get a GT3 like I've been saying (and LABrit has been reminding me) all along.

Old 12-21-2010 | 04:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
burnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
If any of you have NEVER had real seat time in a 'just' a 997S or C2 coupe, might I suggest you not really know what a special car is.

Spend time in one of those cars- versus a lot of others, and you'll quickly know what those of us who have had the pleasure of knowing for a quite a while.

There is nothing 'not special' about a 911.

edit: if you've not DRIVEN any 997 variant, you should keep your opinion to yourself. You have not a clue wtf you're talking about.

Have a nice day.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to STOPPIE again.

Quick Reply: Death of the 911? What's next?