Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Death of the 911? What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I think today's base 911 Carrera follows very closely in line with what the original '65 911 was all about. Neither the original 911, nor today's model, excelled at any one thing in particular but both deliver an enjoyable driving experience while remaining reliable and solid, day after day, in all conditions. As owners of the 911 started getting more involved with racing, Porsche built models that could satisfy the needs of the customers that wanted something a little sportier. Today, Porsche does the exact same thing.

The only difference I can see between the Porsche of the 1960's and 70's and the Porsche of Today is that they build a hell of a lot more cars these days to satisfy a hell of a lot more people.

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest problem is, modern safety and creature-comforts that every car needs to have to be competitive in the segment are what ruins the driving experience. The Porsche formula and performance of the 911 rely heavily on keeping the weight down to give the driver the most feedback. All the new 911s (well, besides the cup cars) have electronics that put the feedback into the driving experience. If anything, Porsche should be applauded on how well they've mastered this art.

With that said, the driving experience is more real and you can instantly tell when you step out of a 997 and into a 964 or older car. If you want to really get that raw 911 feel, an early 911S with those late-hitting cams and narrow tires are about as good as it gets. In the pre-watercooled cars, you don't have a giant screen with buttons all over the place or adaptive seats or steering wheel telephone controls. Everything is intended to help the car communicate with the driver. It's part of an era that's long gone and never coming back.

Anyway, if you want my advice, buy a new 3.8 liter GT3 with no options other than paint-to-sample Mexico Blue and Xenon lamps. Then find the most cherry '94 Turbo 3.6 you can and buy that, then move onto some of the older stuff like a Carrera ClubSport, '72 or '73 911S and if you can swing it, privately import a 993 Carrera RS from Europe.

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I like your thinking.

Did you just become a strategic partner? Congrats!!

And I just saw GLN's poll. Wow. That is a whole new low for any member of Teamspeed (besides AZ car club). I understand it was intended to be a joke, but I don't see the humor.

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:56 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Start a Gln poll

Old 12-21-2010 | 10:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by _CEO_
M7 997.2 C4S is awesome. It's comfortable, looks stunning and performs. WTF more do purists want?
Great sum-up right there. There's things about the "5 series of sports cars" that some of us like. Rep to you good sir.

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:32 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
After spending quite a bit of seat time in 997's, I really don't find that much at fault. For all the safety and electronics that are crammed into them, they still offer that "911" experience and feel. Something completely different than most modern day sports car.

Sure we can gripe that they will never feel and drive like the older 911's, but the same can be said with any other manufacturer. After spending a lot of time in my little 73, I can without a doubt tell you that other than going through the canyons, The new 911's are better in many ways.

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I loved my Mexico Blue 997S, but then I did immediately drop it, supercharge it, ad carbon Dymag wheels, exhaust, etc., etc. as soon as I got it.

Old 12-22-2010 | 02:42 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
In the latest excellence, Chris Harris opines:

"The 911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars -- a product that wallows in past glories; one that has lost direction."

Whether you agree with him or not, the question is being asked seriously. Personally, I agree with most of his opinions in the editiorial. Fundamentally, 911s are no longer the special cars they once were. He suggests that the only 911s that live up to their roots are the GT models.

If you take the assumption that he's correct, then what's the next step for a sports car enthusiast to take? It's easy to say, "Get a Ferrari or Lamborghini", but the reality is that I like the whole "Porsche" thing. I like that the maintenance is not outrageous. I like that I can drive it year-round. I like that insurance doesn't murder me. I like that cops don't pay it too much attention. I could go on and on...

I've consider the V8 Aston in the past, but a lengthy test drive full of camera phone antics, people chasing me on the freeway, etc., killed that deal. The Audi R8 doesn't do much for me. So then, what? I really like the Scuderia, but it couldn't replace the 911 for the reasons mentioned above.

My conclusion is that I need to just start buying outstanding examples of earlier, more special 911s. Cars like the RS America, Carrera Clubsport, a cherry '96 993 Carrera with few options.

What are your thoughts?
993 tts ...............check
RS America.............check
73RS...................

two words really YUM-MY
Couldn't agree more the newer cars have lost the heritage and the flavor the older cars hold so tight.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2010 | 10:37 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by _CEO_
M7 997.2 C4S is awesome. It's comfortable, looks stunning and performs. WTF more do purists want?
They want the 70's, 80's and 90's back only to be reminded of what shit drivers they are on and off the track.

Most purists I know barely push the envelope on their '88 Porsche to even have a clue.

Real enthusiast know the with all the new fangled techno-wizardry it allows them to explore limits on and off the track that would otherwise have them screaming for mommy.

One person right off the top of my head of is real enthusiast is Savvyboy (Pete). You don't see him bitching and moaning about modern 911 (or variants of 911) and he CLEARLY is enjoying every cubic inch of that car. I don't hear him whining about 'ohhh the cars are diluted or wimpy or I wish we had cars like the past'.

The past is the past boys and girls. So either step up and realize you can get your dream car of the '80's and '90s hard core sports car- YOU JUST CAN'T LEASE IT-

or realize you've got a pretty damn great car for your monthly payment.

I'm no fool; I can't afford to stroke a check (in full) for a new or used 911. Heck, even a nice 08 M3. I have to finance or lease.

Regardless; do I love the Porsche's of days gone past? Sure I do. But I'd rather explore my limits as a driver, and be thankful there's crap in side of the car to save my ass if I do something stupid. Then to be some arm chair critic who can't even push themselves to 7/10th's of the CARS capabilities.

Old 12-22-2010 | 10:57 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
They want the 70's, 80's and 90's back only to be reminded of what shit drivers they are on and off the track.

Most purists I know barely push the envelope on their '88 Porsche to even have a clue.

Real enthusiast know the with all the new fangled techno-wizardry it allows them to explore limits on and off the track that would otherwise have them screaming for mommy.

One person right off the top of my head of is real enthusiast is Savvyboy (Pete). You don't see him bitching and moaning about modern 911 (or variants of 911) and he CLEARLY is enjoying every cubic inch of that car. I don't hear him whining about 'ohhh the cars are diluted or wimpy or I wish we had cars like the past'.

The past is the past boys and girls. So either step up and realize you can get your dream car of the '80's and '90s hard core sports car- YOU JUST CAN'T LEASE IT-

or realize you've got a pretty damn great car for your monthly payment.

I'm no fool; I can't afford to stroke a check (in full) for a new or used 911. Heck, even a nice 08 M3. I have to finance or lease.

Regardless; do I love the Porsche's of days gone past? Sure I do. But I'd rather explore my limits as a driver, and be thankful there's crap in side of the car to save my ass if I do something stupid. Then to be some arm chair critic who can't even push themselves to 7/10th's of the CARS capabilities.
blah blah blah
I disagree!

I've longed for a 73RS for as long as I've wanted a Porsche. Lightweight like pictured above even more.

I've never complained about the 997's because I think they are fantastic cars but you can't compare the two and you surely can't compare the driving experience.

I would push a 73 just like a 97 but have a whole different driving experience and I would love it. The difference between the two doesn't matter. It's the edge of your seat driving whether you are doing 150 in the straight or just 120. The problem STOPPIE with today's drivers is they shouldn't be in the new 997's without actually learning how to drive a car first. 400-600hp variants of the 911 are not made for the average driver and the average driver buys a 911. I would say "flame suit on" only 1 in 50 brand new 911 drivers have the ability to drive the car to 7/10's as you mentioned above and that's what should scare people. JOE Lawyer who solved his first case driving into STOPPIE and pulling out of there with a 11' 997 Turbo is my best example. This guy will either use this car to 30% capability his entire life with 10 Bursts a month with a girl or buddy in the car on the straightest road he knows or he will put it in a ditch not understanding the car he just purchased.

I for one think most guys should be in the 200-300hp variants of the 80's and 90's so they learn the cars and don't use today's Nanny's to save their bacon. You know what Playing with a Nanny can do

Quick Reply: Death of the 911? What's next?