Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.
View Poll Results: What engine should the next generation 911 have?
A flat-6. There's no there's way it should be.
80.36%
A V8. I'm ready for a revolution (death) of the 911!
19.64%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

R.I.P. The Porsche 911. 1963-2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
as awesome as the newest iteration of the flat 6 is in the 911, because I have experienced (and now own) the motorsports variants of the flat 6...I just cant go back to the detuned variants without yearning for my screamer. Also, because porsche has now made their cars interiors so gorgeous, I feel they are truly moving to the gt segment of sportscar outside of their GT series (lol, ironic nomenclature usage there). Personally, I would not buy another normal flat6 911 again...but a new v8 with about 450 hp and some more torque (especially if they can move it forward) would be a force to be reckoned with IMHO. Flame suit on...

And btw, no car ever really DIES...just gets immortalized in history...for better or worse. And I can assure you, the 911 would be for better

Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sechsgang
as awesome as the newest iteration of the flat 6 is in the 911, because I have experienced (and now own) the motorsports variants of the flat 6...I just cant go back to the detuned variants without yearning for my screamer. Also, because porsche has now made their cars interiors so gorgeous, I feel they are truly moving to the gt segment of sportscar outside of their GT series (lol, ironic nomenclature usage there). Personally, I would not buy another normal flat6 911 again...but a new v8 with about 450 hp and some more torque (especially if they can move it forward) would be a force to be reckoned with IMHO. Flame suit on...

And btw, no car ever really DIES...just gets immortalized in history...for better or worse. And I can assure you, the 911 would be for better
LOL..Did I CC you on my email to my friend at Porsche NA?

This is almost exactly what I just told him. The moving it forward and losing the rear seats is the key. Yes they make a Cayman but this would be different and well needed to keep up with the newest and baddest Ferrari's.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
porsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura aboutporsche.fan has a spectacular aura about
Heard one on the Nordschleife and it wasn't a V8 for sure!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
This will not happen. Period.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I did hear they are bringing back a front engine 928 type car - based on the panny. But nothing even remotely suggests the end to the 911.

As a business man - my view of the world would most certainly not kill the cash cow for the Porsche brand. The 911 is pure profit now with the current success of the Cayenne and Panny - If Porsche kills the 911, mark my words, porsche will have its hand out begging for funding like GM!

Maybe Porsche should limit the total number of model variants to assist with cost containment measures - but I really believe this is a company that knows how to charge its customers for everything. I think they will always make a 911 - even if its a bespoke car only say like the 612 OTO program from Ferrari - Porsche without a 911 is like Ice Cream without milk.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by h20skier
l ....needed to keep up with the newest and baddest Ferrari's.
I didnt realize Porsche was trying to keep up. Its not the other way around? The California isnt targeted at the 911 Cab market?

Ferrari and Porsche are two seperate markets - either a person wants both because they love cars - or they have an allegiance of one or the other. The entire philosophies of both cars are completely different and they are not even comparable.

A Ferrari is a Ferrari -
A Porsche is a Porsche -

They both do lots well.
The cost of ownership on a Porsche is much less than with a Ferrari.
The Porsche does less wrong than the Ferrari -

Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by asg612
I didnt realize Porsche was trying to keep up. Its not the other way around? The California isnt targeted at the 911 Cab market?

Ferrari and Porsche are two seperate markets - either a person wants both because they love cars - or they have an allegiance of one or the other. The entire philosophies of both cars are completely different and they are not even comparable.

A Ferrari is a Ferrari -
A Porsche is a Porsche -

They both do lots well.
The cost of ownership on a Porsche is much less than with a Ferrari.
The Porsche does less wrong than the Ferrari -
I'm talking about the Racetrack. Not road going cars. I'm a racer. Don't really look at the cars otherwise. This the main reason I don't care about the Turbo'd variant of the 911's.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Whatever Porsche decides on as far as a powerplant for the 911, all I ask is that they make it as bullittproof and as reliable as possible. And the rear seats? Get rid of 'em. Period. Need 4 seats, then the Panamera & Cayenne will work just fine.

I wouldn't mind them taking a step or two up on the exotic scale either, at least as far as the Turbo/GT2,3's are concerned.

It's hard to argue with their performance though. C&D just did a test with the Turbo S and I was shocked to see it come as close as it did to the 458 on the track, and utterly slaughtering the 1/4 mile in 10.8 @ 129. Damn.

Imagine a next gen GT2 RS with a 3.4 or 4.5 V8 TT w/PDK and about the same weight. Just sayin'...

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X2daC
Unless it's a top exec at Porsche or Walter Rohrl, I'm going to call BS kid.
Not an exec or Walter, but someone similar in position.

The source test drove an 8 cylinder 911 with no rear seats. The engine was also moved up to a near mid-engine configuration, but was still in the rear. I don't know when they test drove it, or how early the mule was, if it was an F or V configuration, but it had an 8 cylinder engine for a fact. Maybe Porsche was just testing an 8 cylinder, or maybe they will use an 8 cylinder. I hope they don't but if they do, I'd expect it to be a flat-8, which is okay by me.

Last edited by Carrera; 10-04-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
Not an exec or Walter, but someone similar in position.

The source test drove an 8 cylinder 911 with no rear seats. The engine was also moved up to a near mid-engine configuration, but was still in the rear. I don't know when they test drove it, or how early the mule was, if it was an F or V configuration, but it had an 8 cylinder engine for a fact. Maybe Porsche was just testing an 8 cylinder, or maybe they will use an 8 cylinder. I hope they don't but if they do, I'd expect it to be a flat-8, which is okay by me.
I'm calling you on it right now.

You're a 12 year old who makes photoshops and has a YouTube channel.

Who do you know that high?

Quick Reply: R.I.P. The Porsche 911. 1963-2012