Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Update Info on the 997 Refresh/Facelfit - PCM Update & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Update Info on the 997 Refresh/Facelfit - PCM Update & More

Porsche will upgrade the 911 this summer, in the latest of a long line of improvements to the 40-year-old sports car. It will be on sale in UK showrooms in autumn 2008 and those evolution-not-revolution looks hide a raft of technical changes including (finally!) a new twin-clutch gearbox.

The 997's engines will get direction injection - as the Cayenne did - to lower emissions, improve fuel consumption and increase power. And that double-clutch gearbox, called PDK in Porsche speak, will allow electric-fast gearchanges and improved economy.

Porsche 911: the engine
The 3.6- and 3.8-litre flat six boxer engines will gain the same direct injection system that the Cayenne received early in 2007. In the controversial SUV that brought a little extra gruffness, but 10-15 percent more power and torque, and a similar reduction in fuel consumption.

PDK transmission
After much delay, Porsche will finally announce its Porsche Doppel Kupplungen gearbox. Its new partners at the VW Group stole a march on the Stuttgart manufacturer with DSG, and only now is Porsche getting its own system. Let's hope it's been worth the wait.

A full family of 911s
We’ve snapped the Targa, Cabriolet and Coupe versions, giving us a clear indication of the ‘new’ 911 look. Unsurprisingly, it's very close to today's car. At the front there are new indicators and a reprofiled, curvier front bumper. You'll need a degree in Porsche anorakdom to spot the changes if we're being honest. The main cabin architecture appears to be the same as today's car, but Porsche has tweaked the fiddly centre console and sat-nav system. Gone is the spray-on silver finish, replaced by a darker console with chrome highlights.

The rear is pepped up by curvier light clusters and the third brake lights are now illuminated by LEDs. Engineers at most car companies love light emitting diodes - they're smaller allow designers more flexibility, they last longer than bulbs and they are quicker to react than conventional filaments, warning drivers behind faster. Oh, and they look quite cool, too.

It's all well and good, but when's the next proper new 911?

We hear the next step-change in the 911 saga comes in 2011. Details are shaky at this stage, but it will be codenamed 991 and keep the world's best-known sports car ticking over until 2018. And, yes, it will still be rear-engined.
Source - carUk

Attached Images         
Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Mirrors got bigger, lame.
I like the new tails and front though!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
WTF is wrong with larger mirrors now a days, first it was the facelift SLK with the larger mirrors and now the 997.

I think its a great facelift without consideration of the mirrors and its very subtle, what I really like is the wide pcm.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:31 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
ya those mirrors are huge I just noticed!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond repute
The mirrors look like the head of golf driver they're huge! I hope the PCM will be retrofittable but unlikely. Would love some touchscreen action with Sat radio and decent bluetooth.

EDIT* Come to think of it the space for PCM is the same, so it may be retrofittable with some work needed.

Last edited by Hussain; 04-04-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: hmm
Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, why even bother to tape over the badge. I think my grandmother could tell what car that is. And ... I can't believe how Boxster that front looks.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
pogocycle is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All,

My 997 has a scuff on the rear corner, so it needs a new rear bumper. I'd like to update the lights too so that I can fit this updated rear end....

Possible or Impossible ? - Anyone ?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond reputeJustinBellZ has a reputation beyond repute