Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Very nice head-unit upgrade for 997.1 Pcars

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Bags is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 05 and have been looking at this upgrade. What information do you loose from the PCM module to your dash? Do you still get the navigation information or station information in the dash? Does it effect any of the Sport Chrono info? What do you give up in comparison to what you gain?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura about
Nice very nice! Cool!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
OK:
Can't let this die. I've done my research on the other sites and the biggest unanswered question is...Sport Chrono....Most everyone does not have sport chrono or Bose.

If anyone has the SC feature and the Bose please chime in and let me know what features you loose and if there was anything special that needed to be addressed with this change?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bags; 09-09-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Euro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enough
SPORTS CHRONO Plus

Hi Bags,

Any 9X7 vehicle can be ordered w/ Sport Chrono Package or Sport Chrono Package Plus...the latter meaning you have a PCM that allows for personal memory functions and the performance display. So if your concern is the actual performance of your car...you will not lose the performance capabilities of Sport Chrono Package, as the performance settings are controlled by pressing the Sport button.

With the PCM removed, you'll lose some personal memory functions that can be adjusted directly from the PCM (ie interior light settings & climate control) and the performance display for recording lap times for your Sports Chrono Package Plus.

I've attached a couple of pics from Porsche's site to clarify the SC Package &
SC Package Plus to help make sense of all of this. Would of sent a link but it's some kind of java script pop up window.

Regarding Bose, you essentially have 2 recommended options:

1. A Fiber Optic Adapter like NAV TV's MOST HUR 997 (Retail is $650 last I checked)
2. Bypass Bose Amp - You do not need to rewire your entire car (all the speaker wires (copper) are located at the Bose amp. Attached is a basic idea of how that would work, should you decide to go this route.

As for the Bose Sub, that is not part of the Bose Amp...it is a powered Sub...so you will essentially wire it up to designated speaker level wires (typically it is the rear right set of speaker wires, check your head unit's instructions as for their recommendations) or do a RCA to speaker wire adapter to connect the sub using the designated RCA Sub output from the head unit. Finally, you'll need to connect the amp turn on signal of the powered Sub to that of the new head unit, to activate the Bose sub when your radio is turned on.

I also wanted to mention a point about returning your vehicle back to stock. Our kits are designed to allow you to bring your car back to stock with minimal amount of modification. Specifically, no modification is needed to actually install the head unit, our kits are designed to fit in the factory location using factory guide rails, there is no need to tamper with fitting the cage to your vehicle. As for the electrical side of installing a head unit, the amount of modification is negligible as our kits are bundled with several adapters to minimize the need to cut or splice wires from your vehicle. Apart from the wire harness & antenna adapter, we now include a proper fuse adapter and 4 feet of wire so you can run the accessory signal lead straight to the fuse box. Installing an aftermarket unit properly, should essentially be completely reversible should you want to return it back to stock down the road.

The last thing I will mention is MOST fiber optic, as there are always confusions about MOST vs Non MOST and if you are required to bypass the amp on all 9X7 vehicles. The short and simple answer is you have MOST if your car has the Bose system. The standard package does not have an amp, so essentially you just plug the wire harness adapter in and you're good to go. If you have the upgraded option w/o Bose (I believe it is the Sound Package Plus), you have a factory amp. The factory amp in the Sound Package Plus can be used with an aftermarket head unit using the supplied wire harness adapter, same as the standard package.

Cheers,

Loi T.
sales@euromotorspeed.com

Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
997DIAGRAMa.pdf (1.19 MB, 478 views)

Last edited by Euro Motorspeed; 09-10-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Euro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enoughEuro Motorspeed will become famous soon enough
Some recent pics from the Gen 2's

A few pics of our kits installed on the Gen 2 vehicles...one with a Kenwood and the other with a Pioneer HU.

Attached Images     
Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Loi T
Thanks so much for the info. You have given me what I was looking for. Being a 997.1 there isnt much fancy integration with the center display. They will not let me send you a PM since I have not posted enough so I have sent you a email.
Thanks again
Mike

Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
PorscheC4S is on a distinguished roadPorscheC4S is on a distinguished roadPorscheC4S is on a distinguished roadPorscheC4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
Now that is a clean look for the 996. I'm going to the store TODAY to get one!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Loi's stuff is awesome guys!