Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Video: SharkWerks' '09 PDK 997S Project Car & Exhaust Demo

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor
sharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by seven_227
Looks neat, why did you guys go with straight pipes instead of an x-pipe?
What are the power gains over stock? Any dynos yet?
Power gains over an x-pipe?
Sound levels and back-pressure compared to an x-pipe?

Just copied the same questions from the other forum lol :P
Hey seven_227, thanks for the kind words. In fact, one day two of ownership we built an x-pipe but a few things made us decide to go a different way. But in basic terms, 1) It was honestly too quiet (think the the x-over area as a resonator), 2) It created a hot-spot 3) It didn't flow as well as a straighter through design and there's a reason why Porsche kept their center muffler to two separate banks. The lower pipe is right after the header/cat and is supposed to go into the center muffler (and u-bend which I believe we have improved upon) and feed the two side mufflers. By crossing over that far upstream if you will we were worried we'd actually hamper flow/hp. Would have been neat had it worked (was certainly a bit cheaper/easier for us to make). 4) We looked at the stock routing and decided not to mess with that but instead just get rid of the two sharp u-bends inside in favor of a straighter through design for better flow. James is the designer/expert and could explain it in much greater detail though if I could get him to stop working for 5 seconds
Originally Posted by 911 S
can't wait...
Thanks and we're shipping next week/two I hope
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
I foresee in my crystal ball lots of these exhausts being sold in Bahrain.
Haha thanks so much. Actually Dan and I were joking last night about having to do instructions in other languages for the GT3 exhaust and then we realized.... Between the US-Bahrain we're luckily covered since it seems everyone there has such a good command of English!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
I foresee in my crystal ball lots of these exhausts being sold in Bahrain.
true.. true..

Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor
sharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond reputesharky has a reputation beyond repute
true.. true..
Hehe thanks guys! Dan and I were trying to figure out box sizing to keep shipping down. The sizing is slightly bigger than the GT3 stuff so

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Dan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys,
We packaged and shipped five shiny new exhausts today:

Alex and James took the car north to dyno where it made an extra 12 HP and 14 ft/lb of torque to the wheels (on a mechanically-linked AWD Mustang dyno). I'm sure Alex can post the graph later.

We've also updated the product page with all the latest information:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

-Dan

Hehe thanks guys! Dan and I were trying to figure out box sizing to keep shipping down. The sizing is slightly bigger than the GT3 stuff so
It didn't turn out so bad, eh? Once we received our magic box-forming tool.

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 01-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute
sharkwerks

Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor
sharkwerks
Thanks 911 S and Dan you're right that box-tool thing was pretty FTW...

BTW here's the dyno:

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alex, are you guys working on an air-intake?

Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor
alex, are you guys working on an air-intake?
Software first Intake... maybe but it's going to be hard to improve upon...

Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor
I did get a few Emails asking whether or not our exhaust set up would work on the non-S well after some much needed checking of a local car the answer is _yes_ our system works just the same (the exhaust is the same) for all non-S owners.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey folks, just another update on the car with regards to software tuning. We have been running/testing the EVOMSit software on the car for a few weeks now but today was the day we wanted to actually validate what we had been feeling/testing/ on the street. So armed with a pair of SDI3 (Siemens) ECUs, a PIWIS, AWD Mustang dyno, our EVOMSit Software/Hardware toolkit (came with the Tuner) we eked out a bit more power. Make no mistake the process wasn't easy (hence I believe nobody else is yet offering software for these cars). With the EVOMSit software a typical 997S PDK car can expect to gain 13HP and 12TQ on 91 octane. The nice thing was that we were able to create, test, tweak and fine tune multiple files on the car and on-site with these tools and gathered a plethora of data. The throttle response is also much-improved as far as drivability is concerned and I'll have a full write-up with some pictures, dynos and pricing shortly

Quick Reply: Video: SharkWerks' '09 PDK 997S Project Car & Exhaust Demo