Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Porsche 991 Turbo First Drive By Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
swifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to allswifty is a name known to all
Post Porsche 991 Turbo First Drive By Autocar

Name:  porsche_911_turbo_36.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  155.4 KB

Porsche 991 Turbo First Drive

"The Porsche 911 Turbo S is the fastest-accelerating car that Porsche has ever placed into open-ended series production.

With an official 0-62mph time of 3.1sec, it is faster than the Ferrari 458 Italia, surely its keenest supercar rival, for outright straight-line pace. And that’s to say nothing of its claimed 0-124mph time: 10.1sec.

Fitted with an updated version of its predecessor’s twin-turbo 3.8-litre, horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine, the new 911 Turbo S develops a hard-hitting 552bhp. That’s 30bhp more than the standard 911 Turbo, along with which it will go on sale in the UK next month, and 29bhp more than the old 911 Turbo S, a car that didn’t exactly come across as lacking in firepower.

Torque is also up, by 30lb ft on the standard 911 Turbo but only by 7lb ft over its direct predecessor, with 516lb ft served up between 2100rpm and 4250rpm. But in a new development that brings an added dimension to the driving experience, there’s now an overboost function."

Follow the link for the rest: Porsche 911 Turbo first drive Review | Autocar

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Buy a 2008 997 Turbo + Stage II powerkit and have a better looking and sounding car - same straight line speed as a 991 Turbo S - and save yourself £100k in the process!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex_997TurboRSC
Buy a 2008 997 Turbo + Stage II powerkit and have a better looking and sounding car - same straight line speed as a 991 Turbo S - and save yourself £100k in the process!
Now not that your biased but don't you think you should wait for it to hit market and drive one before establishing such an established opinion? Have you seen one in person?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
Now not that your biased but don't you think you should wait for it to hit market and drive one before establishing such an established opinion? Have you seen one in person?
I am told that my OPC (main distribution for UK) has one hidden out the back, but from all the official/magazine pictures/videos I have seen I have zero interest in going to see it. By far the ugliest, most awkward looking Porsche made today. The design just doesn't flow, it's just bits stuck on a Carrera body. The 997 Turbo has the same problem but seemingly not to the same extent as the 991 Turbo. The 996 Turbo looked a lot less awkward so we seem to be going backwards.

A 991 GT3 on the other hand - better in EVERY department! Certainly tempted on that...

I just hope the 992 will be more about weight saving and less about power increases. Only another 8 years to wait to find out! We want radically lighter sports cars. Best car I have driven recently is a 1340kg Lamborghini Gallardo SL. 250kg less than my car with similar power, makes a HUGE difference. The best thing Porsche could have done to the 991 Turbo is strip out 150kg weight to be around the 1450kg (same as 991 C4S) and made it prettier. Not all this copying Nissan GT-R 4-wheel steering stuff and actually put ON weight.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Saying all that ^ I just spec'ed one in black and it looked a LOT better! It hid the lines of the side air intakes and the odd looking front bumper design.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
I am told that my OPC (main distribution for UK) has one hidden out the back, but from all the official/magazine pictures/videos I have seen I have zero interest in going to see it. By far the ugliest, most awkward looking Porsche made today. The design just doesn't flow, it's just bits stuck on a Carrera body. The 997 Turbo has the same problem but seemingly not to the same extent as the 991 Turbo. The 996 Turbo looked a lot less awkward so we seem to be going backwards.

A 991 GT3 on the other hand - better in EVERY department! Certainly tempted on that...

I just hope the 992 will be more about weight saving and less about power increases. Only another 8 years to wait to find out! We want radically lighter sports cars. Best car I have driven recently is a 1340kg Lamborghini Gallardo SL. 250kg less than my car with similar power, makes a HUGE difference. The best thing Porsche could have done to the 991 Turbo is strip out 150kg weight to be around the 1450kg (same as 991 C4S) and made it prettier. Not all this copying Nissan GT-R 4-wheel steering stuff and actually put ON weight.
I could not disagree more.

You think the 996 Turbo looks better than both the 997 and 991? lol

Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I actually share your point! I dislike the 991 Turbo's design as well. Plus I'm a huge fan of the 997.2 Turbo (S). To me that one is the best!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting

Old 08-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
I like em. Especially the interior. And I have a black/black S coming. It's fairly stupid to say buy an older car and get it tuned and save $100k. Believe it or not, when I sell it I get a ton of that back. Consider college.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by GTCole
I like em. Especially the interior. And I have a black/black S coming. It's fairly stupid to say buy an older car and get it tuned and save $100k. Believe it or not, when I sell it I get a ton of that back. Consider college.
I have a degree which included advanced maths thanks...

You do know what the depreciation graph on a new 911 looks like right as a car gets older? You lose a lot more in the first few years; so you may indeed get a chunk of that back, but that's still a game where you throw money down the drain. At least the guys I know here in the UK trading a 997 for a new 991 have admitted to everyone up front that it's an irrational purchase.

A tuned 997.1 Turbo or a stock 997.2 Turbo S is a heck of a lot of car for the money they are now worth. More ability than can be safely used on public roads for sure.

So if I had more money than sense, I would be ordering one too...

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 Turbo First Drive By Autocar