Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Porsche 991 Turbo First Drive By Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You nailed it!
Why does it always have to be something new?
I think the 997 (Turbo) is an excellent car, and if you like its looks more than the 991 ones, why should you spend way more money on a new car?
Well, I wouldn't...

Originally Posted by Alex_997TurboRSC
I have a degree which included advanced maths thanks...

You do know what the depreciation graph on a new 911 looks like right as a car gets older? You lose a lot more in the first few years; so you may indeed get a chunk of that back, but that's still a game where you throw money down the drain. At least the guys I know here in the UK trading a 997 for a new 991 have admitted to everyone up front that it's an irrational purchase.

A tuned 997.1 Turbo or a stock 997.2 Turbo S is a heck of a lot of car for the money they are now worth. More ability than can be safely used on public roads for sure.

So if I had more money than sense, I would be ordering one too...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. That was easy.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTCole
LOL. That was easy.
He must not know who you are cole haha your one of THE Porsche guys on TS. I take your opinion more seriously than someone like this guy

Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
So what?!
I do know who that guy is and I highly respect his knowledge about cars, his driving skills and even his taste in cars.
Nevertheless I think there is not an objective answer to this question, sure you can argue about depreciation and I wanna leave that to the economics guys...but if you dislike the 991 and do like the 997 and have not that much of a budget...then what's wrong with that???

Old 08-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. That was easy.
I'm sure that's exactly what your Porsche sales guy thinks

Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Terraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura about
If you can afford a new 991 Turbo S and you aren't too worried about the depreciation, I say go for it. It's obviously going to be better than the outgoing 997 Turbo S anyway!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
He must not know who you are cole haha your one of THE Porsche guys on TS. I take your opinion more seriously than someone like this guy
His opinion has some merit. I understand that. But the attack rubbed me wrong. And I'm pretty sure I have plenty of sense. Comments are made like that generally when people aren't able to pay. It's a defense mechanism. Hell, I've been there. Many times.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Maxtheone
So what?!
I do know who that guy is and I highly respect his knowledge about cars, his driving skills and even his taste in cars.
Nevertheless I think there is not an objective answer to this question, sure you can argue about depreciation and I wanna leave that to the economics guys...but if you dislike the 991 and do like the 997 and have not that much of a budget...then what's wrong with that???
The debate was not about if you have the budget, it was that a new top of the line turbo is not as good or is an equal to a pervious generation with a good amount of modifications. Some people aren't interested in a modified car

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
His opinion has some merit. I understand that. But the attack rubbed me wrong. And I'm pretty sure I have plenty of sense. Comments are made like that generally when people aren't able to pay. It's a defense mechanism. Hell, I've been there. Many times.
Everything you said right here was what I was thinking, but to me it seemed like you attacked him first with the stupid comment and go to college???

I totally agree with........
I also thought that it was a defense mechanism of not being able to afford it, as I say the same thing about cars that costs way out of my price range that don't seem to be that special. I have recently been spouting out about the lexus LFA. Have never driven one nor will I proabably ever get a chance too. I just judged it on its numbers, its price and it being a Lexus.

Back on the thread topic. I am very very excited about the 991TTS. Right now the MP4 is on my radar and probably going to sell my GT2 for one. But I really think the 991TTS will match its performance with less flashiness and more practicality for me.
Yes it costs over 180k for the specs I want, but really that is not bad for what you are getting. In my experience, very few cars look the same in person than on the magazines. And peoples opinions on forums vary significantly.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Another review here:

Porsche 911 991 Turbo and Turbo S review (2013 onwards) - MSN Cars UK

They seem to like it!

I will probably be driving the 991 Turbo S in Oct at Silverstone as my OPC tends to woo me with free driving day experiences (I have a few in-hand I haven't used yet). So I will share my findings as a Turbo owner. I was lucky enough to be one of the first non-press to have a day with a 997.2 Turbo at Silverstone when it first came out - I think I got the worlds first PDK launch control video up on YouTube from that day! Great fun.

I will just have to avert my eye's when looking at the car in case I throw up in my racing helmet

EDIT: Just found out I have been invited to drive the 991 Turbo S in Oct and the 991 GT3 in Nov at Silverstone circuit when the test day cars are added to the Porsche GB fleet. Should be interesting...

Last edited by Alex_997TurboRSC; 08-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 Turbo First Drive By Autocar