Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

997 911 Turbo vs 997 911 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
rage385 is an unknown quantity at this point
997 911 Turbo vs 997 911 Turbo S

All,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to purchase a 911 Turbo within a year or so. I have been doing research for some time now, but I wanted to ask what are the differences between the Turbo and Turbo S?

I like the idea of getting an S, but was wondering if it would be better to get a non S, and save the money for an AMS upgrade package instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Hi and welcome!
Well, basically the Turbo S has all the performance relevant options you could order for the Turbo. So it does come with PDK, ceramic brakes, center lock wheels, torque vectoring, chassis control, and so on...plus: it has 30hp more than the standard Turbo.
I quite like it since I think it's a good package. However, if you can get a loaded, preowned Turbo that has some of these options and that is cheaper than a Turbo S, I'd rather get that and save the money for a tune! Plus: if you prefer it, it's the only choice to get a manual gearbox!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
Completely different engine
If you want to tune the base turbo has a well known and strong metzger spilt block with true dry sump oil scavenge

Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Completely different engine
If you want to tune the base turbo has a well known and strong metzger spilt block with true dry sump oil scavenge
NO ... if you buy anything w the 3.8L engines, the TT from 2009+ and the TTS only used this motor as they are all 2011+. Both are non metzger. The way Turbo S get more HP are changes done to the ECU and some internals to bring more power at the crank.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
The Turbo and Turbo S nearly feel like different cars. There is some seriously special sauce in the S model that just makes it totally amazing. Best car I have ever owned.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
rage385 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks everyone for the help! That PDK tranny is amazing. I drop the VW variant and I was sold!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marc
NO ... if you buy anything w the 3.8L engines, the TT from 2009+ and the TTS only used this motor as they are all 2011+. Both are non metzger. The way Turbo S get more HP are changes done to the ECU and some internals to bring more power at the crank.
Correct the 3.8 is the new engine

I have an 09 3.6 TT, classic metzger split block

Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold
Correct.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
Bill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura about

See below

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 997 911 Turbo vs 997 911 Turbo S