Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

What Makes a Porsche Unforgettable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonnybravoM3
I agree but you can't always judge by numbers. In '04 the BMW M3 CSL (1400 units produced) -- would that car not count as a "classic"? tbh if I could get my hands on one today I would in a heartbeat!
Yes, it would because it is unique (über lightweight, track spec), limited distribution, fan following.

Originally Posted by JonnybravoM3
You sound like my wife.

Was hoping that Porschefiles out there would shed some light on this as I am planning on joining the club having been loyal to BMW for 35+ years - some of whom have very graciously done so. Point is I want to invest in a special car - one that is not just going to be swept under the rug and forgotten about when replaced with a new model. Yes to most, all Porsches are special as yes I agree to an extent but the logic behind this thread was to understand from the owners and the enthusiasts why some models down the road are just forgotten about and dismissed as outdated whilst some become classics and hold their value.
If your goal is investment I would say get a gt3 4.0, best chance IMO of reaching the collectible status you desire. I say go drive one and get the one that is special to you.

And this, a good way to get the ladies, just ask water mark.

Last edited by TeutonicCarFan; 06-08-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I'm 99% certain once you go to Porsche you won't want to consider anything else.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
If your goal is investment I would say get a gt3 4.0, best chance IMO of reaching the collectible status you desire.
I would actually disagree (If I even have credibility on this topic anymore), I have seen quite a lot more of the GT3 RS 4.0's than the regular GT3 and the GT2 RS. I actually have never seen a GT2.

My money would be on the GT2 RS or normal GT3, being the fastest car around doesn't always necessarily mean it will hold its value.

Look at the GT350 and GT500. The GT500 was faster and better overall, but there were many more GT500's bought/produced than the GT350, thus making the GT350 more valuable in most cases.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Am177 sorry but the 2rs is the fastest pcar going not the 4.0. The big deal with the 4.0 is that it's the last and ultimate naturally aspirated 997. The car is a full racecar for the road. Ps watch barret Jackson and see that gt500 go for more money all day long.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by astonmartinone77
I would actually disagree (If I even have credibility on this topic anymore), I have seen quite a lot more of the GT3 RS 4.0's than the regular GT3 and the GT2 RS. I actually have never seen a GT2.

My money would be on the GT2 RS or normal GT3, being the fastest car around doesn't always necessarily mean it will hold its value.

Look at the GT350 and GT500. The GT500 was faster and better overall, but there were many more GT500's bought/produced than the GT350, thus making the GT350 more valuable in most cases.
wait
you had credibility

The gt3 4.0 will hold value to msrp greater than the gt2rs in my book for sure.

The 4.0 will possibly be the last 3 pedal track ready road going vehicle Porsche ever makes. I hope not but quite possibly could be.

The 4.0 in the RSR version has won so many races you can't believe it. The gt2rs won't ever win a race. As people know I dislike turbos but this car was just another turbofied money printer for Porsche. You won't see guys flogging them at the track in comparison to any typical gt3 ever. It's just not that car. Limited? yes it was. Special? I don't know you can turbofy anything really.

If that damn Wing on the 4.0 weren't so ugly I would have snatched one up in a heartbeat. Without a doubt it's the best road going car I believe Porsche has put out in a decade.

Linear power to 8500rpms N/A
It's a frawking dream come true for cornering. It's just so good I'm crying as I type this.......

I will say that the gt2rs is a rocket ship. Crazy stupid fast. So fast imho it shouldn't be legal in the hands of Non professional drivers.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
What H2O is saying is that Porsche turbos are the best cars out there.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
Just get into a Porsche and drive it on the track. I test drove my GT2 once and had no qualms about selling my Z4M. Being a long-time loyal BMW M fanatic, I can tell you that M will mean very little once you drive a faster Porsche.

Bottom line, you won't ever regret buying a 991 Turbo. Will it be a classic? answer is - does it really matter?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond repute
who's to say one day the 996 wont be a classic? all of you are hating on it now but only time will tell. the 993 is overall just a beautiful car so why wouldnt it still be expensive? market for 996 is probably just not there right now and theres alot of them around so that could be why price is cheap..

as for 991 turbo - engineering wise its going to be incredible. MC321 is right, why would anyone care if its going to be a classic. If for some reason you had to have a classic car you could have just bought a rs 4.0 and kept it in your garage but wheres the fun in that? (unless of course you have another one lol)

Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!astonmartinone77 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Honestly, all this talk of buying a car that you hope will be a classic is making my head hurt.

I just need to buy me an Aston DBS already... thats all I want. Such a small, humble desire.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
As far as one model being better than another etc etc I dont think it matters. But after the first time I drove a 996 911 when I was 17...I have never gone back to any other brand of car for sporting purposes. There is something nearly intangible about my porsche love, and the fact that I still dont know what it is makes it the reason why I love, and will forever love the 911. Oh, and for those that think any of the street cars sound trick...nothing really beats a cup or rsr tone...especially when its coming from your personal one . H2O knows what im talkin' about there...

I will say however, the only roadcar that I have ever really gotten a huge adrenaline rush from the factory has been my 997.2 Turbo S. 0-60 in that thing is just next to godliness IMHO.

Quick Reply: What Makes a Porsche Unforgettable?