Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

996 turbo and the 5bar FPR

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
996 turbo and the 5bar FPR

Some of you have been following my monster Proto build, one of the core changes is the e85 conversion. During this conversion we realized that the e85 basically eats the oem rubber lines, gaskets, o-rings etc, so the entire fuel system was removed and rebuilt.

During the rebuild it was pressure tested (thank you for your thoroughness Todd!)and found that the pumps (I have 2 in tank) have a "wastegate" that opens at 5bar and purges the excess pressure back into the fuel tank, well, this is all fine and dandy unless you have a 5bar FPR and if I have this straight in my mind, would you will be getting LESS fuel pressure instead of more?

Am I missing something? Anyone with a 5bar FPR have a fuel pressure gauge installed to verify? I don't have the 5bar FPR, but I know there were quite a few that did and would be interested to see if there were any fuel system issues to correlate to this.

Last edited by DEEPBLUE; 09-12-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Well, now I've GOT to be sub'd for updates. But hasn't Todd built several cars already with 5bar FPR's? Surely he would have noticed fuel starvation on the Dyno if that was an issue. Yes?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure, during out discussion he mentioned 3.8 and 4.2's, but yeah, definitely interesting.

Originally Posted by Superfly
Well, now I've GOT to be sub'd for updates. But hasn't Todd built several cars already with 5bar FPR's? Surely he would have noticed fuel starvation on the Dyno if that was an issue. Yes?