Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Aftermath: Road trip to end all road trips!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Aftermath: Road trip to end all road trips!

I went on a week long road trip with 2 other 997TTs, an E46 M3, an E39 7 series and a E65 7 series to the annual Bimmerfest down in Santa Barbara, CA leaving April 30 and getting on May 6th.

What I've got to show for the trip:

-1 In & Out burger non-animal style + vanilla shake consumed
-2870 miles covered
-3/4 quart of Mobile 1 oil consumed
-Loose tailight (screw fell out)
-Loose driver's seat (too many twisties?)
-Lots and lots and lots of bug stains on my front end
-REALLY dirty car
-3200+ pictures (including quite a few of girls and oh yeah, cars too)
-6+ hours of video footage (thanks Vincent for the awesome camera mount idea)
-Finding the worst 30+ mile stretch in all of California history, (Orr Springs Road). If you value your teeth fillings, do NOT go on this road.
-Finding one of the sweetest smoothest best twisty road shortly afterwards. (Comptche-Ukiah Road)
-Road going through Hunter Leggitt reservation leading to Hwy 1, one of the 10 most scenic roads in America.
-Countless fun encounters with other daring-do wannabes. Some notable highlights were, XR4Ti flying around the corners, Ford Ranger nearly losing it a couple times on PCH 1, Honda Accord keeping up with 997TT in the twisties til it smoked it's brakes, Honda Civic Si holding us back on PCH 1 til it finally pulled over, Subaru Forrester holding its own.
-Going on 22 miles of the best stretch of PCH 1 off 101 downhill and then again uphill a few days later.
-And many many many more....

Places visited were:

-Santa Barbara Pier
-State Street in Santa Barbara
-Hearst Castle
-Briefly meeting Cannga
-Bimmerfest 2008
-Nethercutt Museum
-Benbow Inn (this place was REALLY cool....and I didn't even notice that my room didn't have a TV either)
-Lots and lots and lots of vista points

A notable encounter with the CHP was this. There's a road called Stewart Point down in Napa Valley that's a favorite of ours. wide 2 lanes with sweeping banked corners, hilly terrain, etc. Unfortunately it's also a favorite of many others who have managed to get hurt or even killed over the past few years. The cops have started to crack down on anyone who even looks like they're heading in that direction to speed or race. Our motley crew of sports cars plus me with a camera mount on my windshield made it pretty obvious what our intentions were. The cops wasted no time pulling me over and telling me to remove the camera mount because it's illegal to have anything on there. He also threatened me with arrest if I'm even caught speeding or racing on Stewart Point. He told me to stay off his mountain if that's what I was planning to do and emphasized his point by showing his handcuffs. I was definitely convinced and after a short meeting with my friends, we all decided to leave instead. On our way out the cops started clapping as we left with our tails between our legs. All was not lost for us though. We managed to find another road to have fun on.

And of course countless other memorable roads permanently etched into my memory banks. This is one road trip I will never forget. 3 997TTs flying around. Larry was the one who came up with most of the driving routes. He is the man when it comes to finding good roads. Thank you Larry!

One of the last bit of fun that I had was punching it through a LONG tunnel between the California/Oregon border on Hwy 199, windows down and camcorder recording! Man that exhaust of mine sure sounds good!

At the start of the trip

Passing through Tacoma

Larry getting gas in Battleground just before crossing into Oregon

My camera mount

Rain!

Stopping for lunch in Roseburg, OR

We never had an encounter with this

J feigning arrest in O'Brien, OR

One of the countless one lane roads we encountered

Beautiful scenery

Last edited by atomic80; 05-14-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Ingomar Club

Larry's beautiful 997TT

Samoa Cookhouse

Cheap and massive eats!

A stop in the Redwood Forest

Following J and his 997TT

A man and his machine

A pair of tree huggers

We were tiny among the Redwood trees!

One of the many fallen giants!

Last edited by atomic80; 05-14-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
The trio terrors strikes Hwy 1

One of the videos I took
YouTube - Turbos terrorizing Hwy 1

Finally making it to the other side we took a break

Larry was being a little camera shy

4 road warriors

Some of the stunning sceneries

Discussing our "drive" so far

The two Cobalt faces

Troy's E46 M3 did very well too

These brakes worked great!

Taking a catnap on my favorite road

Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Our "drivers"

Heading down PCH towards Mendocino, CA

Lunch break in beautiful Mendocino, CA

Stunning floral sceneries to be had everywhere

Even those of the fair types

Our "road clan"

Life was indeedy good

After emerging from yet another highway we convened at a "pit stop"

Troy all smiles

Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
This Merkur XR4Ti did a scary job keeping up with us in the twisties

Early morning "Norcal" caravan

Blue masking tape seemed to be the rage this year

Classic BMWs

Even a YELLOW 850

Porsches were there in force too

997TTs everywhere

J and I separated from the caravan to make a visit at Hearst Castle but not before stopping in Big Sur for some yummy quiche

Early morning's mist

More stunning scenery

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Overlooking the Pacific

Which dominates?

What a pair!

Long way down the highway

Snapshot anyone?

A little touch of color

Blue haze

Elephant seals napping

The long lonely highway and a 997TT

Hearst Castle

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Our tour guide

The massive pool area

Some of the many ornately decorated bedrooms

My favorite floral arrangement

One of many elegant statues

I loved this indoor pool

New vs old

State Street in Santa Barbara at dusk

We visited the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar, CA too

Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
My favorite Bugatti, the 1931 Type 51/C at the Nethercutt Museum

Rows and rows of classics

A hot lil red Austin Healey

Beautifully decorated display hall

Organ room

My favorite

Some of the more than 5,000 organ pipes

Cannga's beautiful 997TT with HRE P40 wheels

Techart GTStreetRS at the Bimmerfest

Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Bimmerfest 2008

I really liked this color on this M3

One of the attendees posing for me

Which looks better?

Or this?

I think these were almost as big as mine

I thought this M3 was very tastefully done

A new idea to evade the cops?

Close-up

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Taking a break from driving through one of the 10 most beautiful roads in North America, Mission Road going through the Hunter Liggett military reservation

Hwy 1 can be seen in the distance

Lone Cobalt beast

On the road again

The Cobalt Twins

Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge into Mill Valley

Stopping in Mendocino, CA again

Interesting track car

Well prepped too

Front end

Quick Reply: Aftermath: Road trip to end all road trips!