Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Meth water injection???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
white car is an unknown quantity at this point
Meth water injection???

whats the deal on meth/water injection, whats the hp gain? whats the down side ???

Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
Skeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by white car
whats the deal on meth/water injection, whats the hp gain? whats the down side ???
The gains are better octane ratings for your car...Downside would be the methane tank and having to fill it...Methane is very dangerous and you have to be very careful...it's extremely flammable and the fumes can be deadly...It's great for people with 91 oct! Hp gains would vary depending what your mods are...It's would be like running a weaker version of race fuel...

Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Skeeter
The gains are better octane ratings for your car...Downside would be the methane tank and having to fill it...Methane is very dangerous and you have to be very careful...it's extremely flammable and the fumes can be deadly...It's great for people with 91 oct! Hp gains would vary depending what your mods are...It's would be like running a weaker version of race fuel...
Agreed for the most part except:

Methanol = alcohol = power gains
Methane = farts = stinky ass

Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
We have discussed this once before but I will restate my experience here.

My 2007 997.1 TT is very heavily tuned with almost every component at Stage II or better.

On pump gas - California 91 octane - the engine would ping occasionally and the car was just not as peppy. Obviously, this was unacceptable.

So I began using SERA race additive. I would infuse 10% SERA into my tank with the 91 octane. This bumped my octane up to a claimed 115 octane. I don't know about that, but the pinging stopped and the car felt about 20 bhp quicker.

The bummer was having to mix the fuel each time I filled up. Also, the SERA additive was about $20 a gallon. So I looked for an alternative.

I headed over to BBI Autosport and asked my buddy Betim what my options were. He suggested a methanol injection kit. After some explanation I went for it.

They installed an Aqua Mist Methanol Injection Kit with BBI components. They were able to retrofit my OE windshield washer tank into a methanol reservoir. I had the option to get either a 5 or 10 gallon external tank mounted in the boot but opted against it.

The system ran me $869.00 plus 12 hours of labor to install the unit.

The Aqua Mist kit comes with a nice gauge that you can have mounted in several different places showing you methanol usage and tank level. Also, having it in the OE windshield reservoir means that you also get a low fluid signal through the car itself.

If you run out of methanol, the ECU adjusts so that you can run on standard pump gas - but I do not recommend it.

The methanol injection is boost dependent and only really dumps into the gas tank when you are wide open.

I find that during regular city driving I can get three to four tanks out of a 2 gallon fill up. The cost is about $9 a gallon.

I know that Betim has been mixing my methanol with water about 50/50. You can go leaner if you want.

I definitely have more power with the methanol than with the SERA additive. I never have any pinging issues and the car just runs like a monster. You can feel the additional and sustained turbo boost from a cooler burn throughout the RPM range.

I don't have any numbers on HP gains because I don't bother going to the dyno each time I mod something any more. I just go by feel and the car feels great.

The best part is not having to deal with race gas or additive every time I fill up.

Hope that answers some questions.

Last edited by Barrister; 08-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
white car is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks much for your help guess aqua mist should be my choice it is about $400.00 more the awds product but the safe guards is a big selling point. thanks again

Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Based on the size of Dana's butt, I am sure his 20hp butt dyno number is conservative.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
We have discussed this once before but I will restate my experience here.

snip
always love seeing your turbo brother, is that a daily?

DOIN' WORK!

Name:  433911925_AfSng-L.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  243.9 KB

Last edited by TeutonicCarFan; 08-22-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I don't really drive either my Porsche or Ferrari daily any longer.

But for almost 2 years I drove it every day.

A bit of overkill for a daily though.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Dana does not drive
Badass cars in the garage
Work from home he does

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
Skeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished roadSkeeter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bonehead
Agreed for the most part except:

Methanol = alcohol = power gains
Methane = farts = stinky ass
ROFL! I never re read that! Got to love the damn iphone!

Quick Reply: Meth water injection???