Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Thinking about 20-inch wheels on a 997? You might want to see this...

Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Dan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SharkWerks has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Thinking about 20-inch wheels on a 997? You might want to see this...

This customer came in with a 997 Turbo pushing around 700 HP. He told us the car felt sluggish at lower speeds and we thought one noticeable difference from this car to the next was the 20-inch wheels he was running. Just driving the car around our parking lot, it felt anchored (as if the hand brake was engaged). It's a tiptronic, and when putting it into reverse from a stop, you would also notice the car creeps back much slower than a typical tiptronic turbo.

He was looking for lighter wheels, so we recommended the HRE Monoblock P40 19-inch in this case.

Here are some pictures of the car with the 20-inch wheels:

Pulling these wheels off the car I think I strained my back.

Weighing the rear:

And the front:

The HRE P40 rear:

Here are the P40 fronts:

68 vs 55.5 = 12.5 pounds saved per rear wheel
60 vs 45 = 15 pounds saved per front wheel
A total of 55 lbs removed from the car's wheel weight with one change, a savings of unsprung weight and more importantly for acceleration, rotating mass.

* Keep in mind he also changed to 19-inch tires, but the same size and type. This would be necessary for any wheel size change but the weight is reflected in the tires too.

And hey, it doesn't look bad either.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
those wheels and that car...match made in heaven

Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
I bet that Insight would have taken it off the line when the 20's were on.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Those Techarts are boatanchors. One of the heaviest cast wheels made. Lots of 20" wheels that are lighter than 19's. But point well taken

Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Dubs on a 911 is a travesty...

Old 11-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Looks a zillion times nicer...obviously...

Your absolutely correct about the car feeling sluggy...Everytime I take my fikses off for my twists (hollow), the car almost feels like its not boosting soon enough. A world of a difference.

Glad you made a fellow porsche owner see the light!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Quiet a significant weight saving.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I never understood why people would even consider 20" wheels in the first place....

Did anyone try to run a track with the same car with 19 and 20's on it...and time it?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Member
12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold
The only reason someone would consider 20s (that I can think of) is purely aesthetic. They like to look good going. If someone never had not been to a track, and didnt plan on ever going, then 20s would be a fine options. If they care at ALL about performance though....

In this case, the 19s actually look BETTER than the 20s!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Zymi You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Personally I think that 19" looks better ;o)

My thoughts about track time was, that if it handles better on a track....it handles better on normal roads as well....

Anyway....those new wheels looks very nice as usual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about 20-inch wheels on a 997? You might want to see this...