Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

A.W.E. Tuning - 997.2 TT 6speed - Vehicle Introduction and Product Development Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to all
A.W.E. Tuning - 997.2 TT 6speed - Vehicle Introduction and Product Development Update

Hello Teamspeeders!

We acquired our in-house development 997.2TT in February of this year and immediately began new product development.

As a new sponsor of this forum, we wanted to get you up to speed on our progress and give you an inside look at what’s in store.

With that, let’s jump in.

We want to start off with thanking a few people involved.

Erik Niehof, and the staff of Porsche of the Mainline in Newtown Square, PA., have now helped us with our third Porsche. We could not have been more pleased with the service that we received from them. Regardless of where you live, please keep them in mind on the purchase of your next car. Erik has sold and shipped cars all over the U.S., so geography is not an issue.

Next we want to thank Garrett and Andrew from G.I.A.C. The timing was perfect as they had been working on the programming and Flashloader technology for a few weeks prior to our cars delivery. Dyno testing of prototype software was done the day after we picked up the car.

Now for the car…

So as with all new cars the first thing that needed to be done was some baseline dyno pulls on our Mustang AWD chassis dyno. For comparisons sake, this is what other Turbo models have done stock on our dyno.

(Horsepower To The Wheels)
996TT 6speed Non-X50: 355hp / 366tq
997TT 6speed in stock boost mode: 440hp / 401tq
997TT 6speed in overboost mode: 440hp / 432tq
997TT GT2: 487hp / 436tq (2wd car)

We have preached this for years, but I will say it again. Proper cooling is critical when dynoing a modern Porsche. They are terribly sensitive to even the most minor change in temperature. This car is no different.

Post proper fan set placement we used a variety of scan tools to monitor engine performance. (We have a proprietary scan tool that was written by G.I.A.C. along with a Porsche PIWIS Tester and Durametric software).

Data points that we are most interested in include:
Timing
Timing Correction
Injector Duty Cycle
Lambda
Boost
Exhaust Gas Temp.
Vane Duty Cycle
Fuel Pressure
Intake Air Temp.
Oil Temp.
Coolant Temp.
Throttle Position

Once we had our baseline dyno runs out of the way, we hooked up our laptop with the G.I.A.C. Serial Suite and downloaded the factory program direct from the DME.

With this proprietary reader from G.I.A.C. there is no need to ever open the ECU. Uploads and downloads are never an issue with this method. We have also been asked if this method of downloading and flashing will alter the DME’s internal flash counter. The answer is no. Reason being is because G.I.A.C. uses a proprietary tool for recalibration, allowing us to retain the original flash counter value. Plus OBD2 port flashing is just plain easier…

Here is a picture of the uploading of the new software. Downloading look is identical.

Once the program has been downloaded it gets emailed to G.I.A.C. for their recalibration. Once done it is sent back to us via email and then uploaded in the car.

Here are few special features available from G.I.A.C. for the 997.2 TT.

-OBD2 Port Flashing

-Four Unique Programs that can be switched with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader
1. Pump Gas Performance Mode (for 91-93 octane)
2. Stock Performance Mode (for trips to the dealer)
3. Race Gas Mode (higher timing for additional power)
4. Valet Mode (very low power if an attendant is driving the car)

-Two different redline settings

-Sharper throttle response

For those of you unfamiliar with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader and how it works, please watch this video:
http://awe-tuning.com/media/multimed...lashloader.wmv

Another benefit of our partnership with G.I.A.C. often missed is the fact that they are out West and we are out East. You may be wondering why this could be important. The answer to that is fuel.

With G.I.A.C. being in SoCal, the best at the pump they can buy is 91. This will allow them to find the performance floor if you will. They know what they can get with the least amount of octane.

Now with us being here on the East Coast we can find 93 and sometimes 94 at the pump. This allows them (G.I.A.C.) to find the ceiling with the increased octane. Many of our competitors have to guess or come up with some type of homemade blend of fuel to find the correct timing since 93 is not available to them.

Video of a dyno run:

YouTube - Dyno Testing A.W.E. Tuning's new Porsche 997TT 3.8l DFI

Next up, dyno charts..

Last edited by Mike_R; 10-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:13 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting! Welcome - good to have you around!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the team! I like the blue turbo, and it's a 6speed!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forum

Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to allMike_R is a name known to all

This blew us away. After chipping away at the programming, we were sitting comfortably at +53 AWHP and +37 AWTQ!

We monitored many, many engine parameters via G.I.A.C.'s proprietary scan tool and also with our PIWIS and dyno tools.

Again, we looked at things like air/fuel, EGTs, knock, ignition advance, boost, etc.

It gets better...

Also available are unique stock and valet programs, all switchable with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader Device. The stock program is nice for trips to the dealer when you want all stock power levels. The valet program is nice for when you have to hand over the keys to someone else.

Currently being finalized is the unique race gas program that also can be switched using the G.I.A.C. Flashloader. Updates to follow.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Once the weather got warmer and the tracks opened for the season, we headed straight to New Jersey Motorsports Park for some testing.

It was opening weekend and the weather was perfect. The Lightning circuit was the track we used. This was ideal as the front straight is longer than on Thunderbolt.

The car was fitted with 10 additional sensors to help record data not able to be logged through the OBD2 port. We gained valuable information and will be able to show you just how aftermarket modifications will improve on your vehicles performance.

It was a very interesting day.

Few photos from our day at the NJMP.

While at the track, we did some speed differential testing between a bone stock car and then with a G.I.A.C. flash. The car still has stock exhaust and stock intercoolers.

Please note that this is a full weight car, with a full tank of fuel, and a heavy (tall, that is) driver. (That’s Todd)

The car is a 6 speed. We did the testing in a manner that most users would. We were not out to kill the clutch. These are results that any driver can achieve.

Raw data:

Stock:
0-60mph 4.0s
0-100mph 8.9s
0-120mph 11.9s

0-130mph 13.7s

GIAC:
0-60mph 3.4s
0-100mph 7.9s
0-120mph 10.8s
0-130mph 12.5s

Last edited by Mike_R; 12-21-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
While exhaust development was going on, we worked with the good people at Vorsteiner, Forged Alloys, and Brembo for some body, wheel and brake upgrades. Email me for pricing... (mike@awe-tuning.com)

Last edited by Mike_R; 12-21-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
997.2TT Exhaust Development is a wrap and we’re rapidly nearing the release date.

Some teaser info. A teaser video will be posted in a new thread shortly.:

-No drone, guaranteed
-Modular v-band design to allow for tailoring of sound level
-Can re-use factory tips with standard 2.5” tailpipes
-HJS new generation HD 200 cell catalysts
-No check engine light, guaranteed
-3.0” tubing with H-pipe function
+14 crank hp, +22 crank tq

Optional RSR style tips with 3.0” tailpipes add an additional 5hp and 6tq.

Dual outlet tips for use with 2.5” tailpipes coming soon

Enjoy!

Last edited by Mike_R; 12-21-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
salihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to behold
Would your RSR style tips fit to an 70mm exhaust and 997.1tt rear bumper nicely?

Do you have the photo of the RSR tips with bumper on the car Also is it available for seperate sale?

Thanks