Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Your opinion on the Porsche look?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned
Der Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these partsDer Uhrmeister is infamous around these parts
Your opinion on the Porsche look?

I would like to ask that you read through everything before you grill me for my opinion If the Porsches had the 996-style headlights still, the Porsche 911 Turbo would still be my dream car. But I think the circular headlights just spoil the look of the car. I understand it has to do with heritage and whatnot, but everyone has to move on at some point and advance from the past. The design is still startlingly similar to the Porsche's of the 90's. I think they were doing well with the design of the 996 and should have continued on that route. I also recently found out that Top Gear thinks Porsches are ugly, specifically Jeremy Clarkson! Now you may say "when you can afford one, buy an 01'-05' 996," but they are already or soon to be technologically outdated, they'll probably be classics by the time I can afford one anyway! Or you might say "if you are buying for looks, buy a Maserati or another car around the same price-range!" But we all know that the Porsche driving experience is legendary, and for people who prefer the car to both look great and drive great who hold similar opinions about the looks, its not as great as it could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9yQNxobD8w

The headlight look that I loved!

The headlight look that I don't love!

Reminds me of this

Last edited by Der Uhrmeister; 06-18-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute

This photo is much much better. The 996 headlamps should never have been allowed into production (IMO). They run into the hood panel on the sides, and go ... ... ... nowhere

Always looked incomplete to me. In '01 I was praying for the day when Porsche might bring back the round headlamps. When they did, I ordered a new car

Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche's look is SO EPIC! The bug eye headlights, the raised front wings (not high enough for me ), the strong shoulders, the sloped roof! It's all just too perfect. I'd take a 911 Carrera over a Lamborghini any day! Porsches are just so amazing! They look very good too. I don't know what's wrong with some of the tg boys, but the 911 is amazing. I also LOVE the 996 headlamps so very much, and yes better than the 997. The 997's just are very boring. At least with the new 998 Porsche is adding some ovular shape to the headlights.

BTW, turn a picture of a 997 upside down, and be prepared to be amazed. The headlights look soooo goood! Porsche currently has the headlights out-verted, but they need to invert them!

BTW #2, when you look to buy a Porsche, don't EVER consider another car i.e: Maserati. Yes, they look good, but Porsches look even better, besides, it's a Porsche, there is no substitute.

Last edited by Carrera; 06-18-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
There's a reason why the 996 can't hold it's value......

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm glad they got rid of the scrambled egg look headlights(996). The best looking models I think:

1. 997.2
2 993
3. anything pre1973

Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean73T

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm glad they got rid of the scrambled egg look headlights(996). The best looking models I think:

1. 997.2
2 993
3. anything pre1973
Mine are

1. 997.2
2. 996
3. 930

That's 911 only though.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean73T

1. 997.2
2 993
3. anything pre1973
I would replace 3. with '69 to '73. The rear overhang on the SWB cars makes the car look too tail-heavy IMHO.

930 Turbo widebody also gets honorable mention.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
996 is bar far the worst looking 911 ever. The headlights are ridiculous. They look horrible in that photo and a million times worse in real life. Moreoever the interior of a 996 is the ugliest, and cheapest looking I have ever seen. Even the sparse early 911 models have a much higher quality then the 996 cars. I think that they will go down as the worst ever. But that is my opinion. If i had to buy one it would be hands down 964. The looks are perfect, IMO, and they have such a high build quality.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
I can't stand the headlights on the 996...

Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!gah993 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by teutoniccarfan
996 Is Bar Far The Worst Looking 911 Ever. The Headlights Are Ridiculous. They Look Horrible In That Photo And A Million Times Worse In Real Life. Moreoever The Interior Of A 996 Is The Ugliest, And Cheapest Looking I Have Ever Seen. Even The Sparse Early 911 Models Have A Much Higher Quality Then The 996 Cars. I Think That They Will Go Down As The Worst Ever. But That Is My Opinion. If I Had To Buy One It Would Be Hands Down 964. The Looks Are Perfect, Imo, And They Have Such A High Build Quality.
I Completely Agree!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by gah993
I Completely Agree!
I don't.

For some reason, the 997 doesn't seem as special as the 996.You may not like the 996, but I think it is one of the best looking Porsches ever (obviously not regarding limited production cars). There is also this very sad/happy feeling I get when I see 996 press pictures like this:

There is just something about the 996 that I can't get over. It just seems that Porsche had a much better reputation back in the day, and the 996 is the end of a legend. Porsche is just too publicized now-a-days. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely still and always will think of Porsche as #1. I'm so loyal in fact Porsche would still be my #1 even if they stopped building Porsches and re-badged Kias.

Can you imagine having a Basalt Black Kia with two tone interior, an aerokit, and RS Spyder centerlocks??

EDIT: Porsche, you've done it again.

I have that feeling in my heart again!!!

Last edited by Carrera; 06-18-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on the Porsche look?