Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Turbo S questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Turbo S questions

Hey Guys -

Great forum - I recently stumbled across the site.....

I'm looking to get out of my F-car and back into something smaller, faster and more agile all with a factory warranty - Porsche seems to fit the bill very nicely.

I've owned a C4 cab and 997 Turbo Coupe - but my eyes are being drawn to the new Turbo S cab. Here's a few questions for you....If you dont mind....

1. Are we sure this car is really coming? Not much on Porsche usa website about Turbo S - its a random find when you click on the web show for the turbo.

2. Any idea on proposed production numbers? I'm hearing things like "Porsche will produce this car and limit the number of 'regular' turbos until they exhaust the inventory supply of PCCB's - Any truth to that?

3. Would you put your 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter in the back seat (or front with LATCH system) of the Turbo S cab?

4. Will the cars really be that hard to get? Ok, maybe on month 1, but 6 months from now, end of summer, these cars could be a dime a dozen - Or am I way off base here.

It appears from what i've read that the Turbo S is nothing new, really, save 30hp, from the turbo. A few bells and whistles - At the end of the day, the two cars look about $8,000 apart based upon specing a turbo with all the optional standard features of the Turbo S.

Are there any internet pics you can share or direct me to which might show what the body style of the 998 porsche 911 might look like? Turbo S is going to be made for 1 to 2 more years I hear, so, I dont want to get "stuck" with a body style that will be regarded as a "dud" :-)

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

asg

Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Well for starters, welcome to Team Speed.

I for one am not sure if there is a Turbo S coming out. However, the Turbo is a great car and definitely worth getting. I would say that the back seat is perfect for small kids, and I wouldn't see a problem using the latch system in the front seat. I know of many people that put their kids in those seats. I doubt that the cars will be hard to get, I think it will be about the same as any other p-car if it does come out.

If I had the itch, I would just go ahead and get one now and sell it just before the 991 came out. I really don't think that you'll be "stuck" with it, let alone feel that way.

Good luck on the purchase, and if you do get it please post up some pictures.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
What Hernando said. But here are a few renders of what the 998 might look like.

(Not mine)

(Partially mine)

(Mine)

The 998 is definitely worth waiting for
, don't get the Turbo.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
1. The Turbo S is going into US spec production in June. I have two clients cars being produced the second week.

2. Sounds like a load to me. Porsche generally will make a S version of the Carrera and Cayenne as it draws closer to the end of it's life cycle. Don't think it has anything to do with PCCB's. That's pretty silly.

3. Your kids would be fine IMHO. The Turbo S Cab I built for my client in June will be a kidmobile. He has three. The rear seat bottoms are velcro'd in to make it easy for removal to mount a child seat.

4.I do not think we will see that many of them. I had a heck of a time getting the coupe allocation. Our dealer board seems to indicate if you need one, you better have one to give back. They will be out there but I doubt they are going to be prevelent.

You are correct, it is basically a "standard" Turbo with PDK, PCCB, etc with the addition of the 30HP and some specific badging and the option of Ice Silver and the two tone interiors.

991 photo's are out there but as usual Porsche does a good job of cammoing the cars looks.

Welcome to TS, I am sure you will like it here. Good group of "regulars". Enjoy!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Thanks!

Hey guys - Thanks for the great replies!

Firstly, the 998 pics which someone graciously posted.....thank you! However, I am really not a fan of the rear lights, rear bumper and the headlights. Why is Porsche going in a direction away from the "classic" round light? This car looks more like a 996 than a 993. To me, the 993 Turbo is the ultimate looking porsche.

I dont think I would mind a quick model year change if its going to look like that.

The Turbo S is really an unbelieveable machine - while I would just go for the "standard" turbo, I had one already and it was the best car I have ever owned, I sort of am attracted to the "perceived?" exclusivity of the "S" badged model.

I'm coming out of a Ferrari 612, so, this is an interesting move - 12cyl vs. TTin-line 6 - Same hp. This Turbo S is truly a mechanical marvel and just knowing I could pretty much take anything produced today - that's just incredible.

June build dates...that sucks a little. I was told by a local dealer that orders placed by end of April (translation by tomorrow) will be delivered by mid-june.

decisions....decisions.....

Thanks for your assistance!

Peace!

asg

Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
ASG - All that photo is is a photoshopped 997. Don't base your decision on it.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
ASG- I think you'll just love the Turbo S. Sounds like the right car for you. Last of the 997 model. Smaller circle of owners. Very quick and nimble. VERY safe for the kiddies. And great resale value.

- and while we're talking about it; based on the cars you've owned, I'm sure one day, you'll want the 998 or whatever they end up calling it. But for now, enjoy the 997 Turbo S!

You won't see a Turbo in the new varient for a few years now.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute
You can "build" a Turbo S on the german Porsche site. I don't speak german, but I brought the US site up on one computer and the germany site on another. Side by side, I figured it out - so I could at least see some renderings.

Or go to your dealer. BRobbins walked me through my purchase spec on his computer. Dealers get all the cool tools.

I guess that's so they can put their hooks into you.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
You can "build" a Turbo S on the german Porsche site. I don't speak german, but I brought the US site up on one computer and the germany site on another. Side by side, I figured it out - so I could at least see some renderings.

Or go to your dealer. BRobbins walked me through my purchase spec on his computer. Dealers get all the cool tools.

I guess that's so they can put their hooks into you.
It worked, didn't it?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
It worked, didn't it?
Can no tipe - got hookie im me

Quick Reply: Turbo S questions