Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Stupid question, pls bear with me

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Stupid question, pls bear with me

To the technical gurus on here...

Is it possible to fix a flood damaged 996 that's a "RoW" car, with US version parts?

As some of you may know, there was a nasty flood that claimed quite a number of Porsches here. Most of these were not covered by insurance due to a technicality.

A friend of mine is wondering if its possible to repair his car using parts (specifically engine ECU, tranny ECU, immobilizer and other electricals) sourced from the US. the thing is, this car is a non-US car, so i'm thinking this may not work?

Buying the parts from the local Porsche dealership is not an option for my friend due to budget constraints (major premium over US-sourced parts).

My guess is that it won't work with US parts, and he may have to find a way to order them from Germany...

Thoughts? TIA!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Aren't ECU's sold as blanks and then you have to program them?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
PM me part numbers and I'll cross-check to see if there is a separate number for ROW. If not, and they carry the same p/n, you're good to go. For ECUs, I'm pretty sure it's the same. Immobilizer, I don't know. Electricals most things are swappable, EXCEPT things having to do with lighting/wiring harnesses for head and taillights.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the quick replies guys!

Zamirz, will shoot you some #'s once my friend has them.

as for the ECU's being blanks... i'd imagine so, but with these modern and complex cars, with slight variations from one market to the next, you never really know...

for instance, a friend of mine is the local distributor for a european aftermarket chip tuning company. he has no problem chipping US Porsche Turbos (parallel imported into this country,) but Porsches purchased locally thru the official dealership, he can't do.

something about checksums not matching, and therefore the chips and ECU's are incompatible. now of course this is likely all just about software, but that's the point... its easy for the manufacturers to put in such restrictions nowadays...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
ant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura aboutant_8u has a spectacular aura about
I would hazard a guess that they can be swapped over

However, the ECU and Immobiliser would probably require reprogramming in order to function correctly

Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by ant_8u
I would hazard a guess that they can be swapped over

However, the ECU and Immobiliser would probably require reprogramming in order to function correctly
thanks for the info.

"reprogramming" is something probably on the dealer locally here can do, so for all practical purposes, that means my friend is stuck with having to work with the dealer

again, thanks for the feedback

Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hesperus
thanks for the info.

"reprogramming" is something probably on the dealer locally here can do, so for all practical purposes, that means my friend is stuck with having to work with the dealer
Who might not be willing to program a ECU that hasn't been sourced via them...

I'd be interested in hearing how this all turns out, sucks about the damage not being covered by the insurance though!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
alexandbella is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hesperus
thanks for the info.

again, thanks for the feedback
Not true, I live in Australia and had purchased a second ECU from a U.S Seller for my 996TT, all I did was supply the U.S tuner with particular details from my ECU and he programmed the ECU to work with my car, from memory it had to do with the VIN/Chasis number and the immobiliser codes, apart from these numbers all the ECU's are very similar and not country specific.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by alexandbella; 03-08-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: *