Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

9ff TR-1000 pass 391.7 KM/H @ Papenburg

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Brett
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can't read your chart at all, can barely see some of the words or numbers !

18degC above ambient from a tuned 993tt engine in race type use is very efficient and TBH I don't really believe it, maybe your data sampling is not so good ?..... did you read the thread about the testing we did on 993tt intercoolers I posted ?

You are at a certain "level" of motorsport and good luck to you.....

You came on here and IIRC said (paraphrasing) "I wondered when the aerospace intercooler stuff was going to be brought up"

You have issues because you feel you have built intercoolers which work as well as the expensive stuff - if your 18degC above is right then of course you have these issues.....

If what you say is factual (and not a result of mediocre equipment and/or slow sampling rates, badly placed cheap sensors etc etc) then WTF are you arguing with me for ? There are turbo race teams in Europe who will pay you big money for intercooling which maintains within 18degC of ambient on a Porsche turbo race motor.

I am the sucker who paid the market price for Secan intercooling for a 993tt (read that thread) and set out to prove similar efficiency could be had for less money.
The people who specced and built my $13K intercoolers make radiators for the majority of current F1 teams and are mostly occupied making cooling stuff for the Eurofighter project.

The photos of the two turbo race cars I showed use Secan intercoolers (which are arounf 50% dearer than mine) - yes they should have gone to you because you talk the talk.....

As I somewhat irritatingly said "there are loads of wannabees out there like you" - there are, the guy in the 993 intercooler test (in the earlier post) is typical - owns a decent sized "tuning" Porsche shop, runs race cars, designs intercoolers etc etc etc - loves talking the talk etc etc - he built "his" aerospace intercooler and we (some fellow excel type geeks) tested it to our satisfaction and since then he didn't take it any further - suffice to say there are no similar tests done on any of the current aftermarket intercooler offerings available today - apart from my crappy excel charts

Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Mercs is on a distinguished roadMercs is on a distinguished roadMercs is on a distinguished roadMercs is on a distinguished road
Interesting Intercooler talk.

How is the Intercooler spray being used in the 9FF car? Is is spraying the cores or spraying into the intake?

I wounder what system this car is using?
Mission 400 Plus - Tuner supercar aims to be the fastest of them all

Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mercs
Interesting Intercooler talk.

How is the Intercooler spray being used in the 9FF car? Is is spraying the cores or spraying into the intake?
9ff uses regular "cheap" cores and sprays the surface for these runs, he sprays the gearbox also which shows the heat generated at these loads !

It never got off the ground, I think the Alzen "boys" fell out and/or H&R sponsorship deal didn't work as planned.... - the planned intercooler system for the engine was air/air Secan cores without water spray, RS consider this "band aid" tuning (rightly or wrongly) and have never used........

Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
This is hilarious!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Mercs is on a distinguished roadMercs is on a distinguished roadMercs is on a distinguished roadMercs is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TB993tt
9ff uses regular "cheap" cores and sprays the surface for these runs, he sprays the gearbox also which shows the heat generated at these loads !

It never got off the ground, I think the Alzen "boys" fell out and/or H&R sponsorship deal didn't work as planned.... - the planned intercooler system for the engine was air/air Secan cores without water spray, RS consider this "band aid" tuning (rightly or wrongly) and have never used........

Spraying the gear box?? That is the first time I hear that. Why not run a proper cooling system?

And the RS/Alzen Car, are you sure that they were going to use Air/Air? The car does not appear to have the standard 997 Turbo vents... Not to mention the Huge Power numbers, it seems like it would have a Water-Ice/air.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Spraying the gear box?? That is the first time I hear that. Why not run a proper cooling system?

And the RS/Alzen Car, are you sure that they were going to use Air/Air? The car does not appear to have the standard 997 Turbo vents... Not to mention the Huge Power numbers, it seems like it would have a Water-Ice/air.

The bodywork on the car is mostly bespoke, I saw it at RS workshops and at the rear it doesn't really resemble a 997tt. There are inlets on top of the rear arches and as you can see from the photo below the intercoolers hang low with air exiting straight out behind the rear wheel.
I think the car races with around 750PS and uses just the Secan intercoolers (actually detroyed a set on its first outing when it had an oil fire which caused quite a bit of damage - expensive business).
These intercoolers really are special, special materials and hand fabricated, (I can post more intercooler pics if anyone is interested ?) RS would never use a water/ice system in a race car but it is a cheap alternative for certain applications.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Am I the only one around here who doesn't have a custom member title?
sinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond repute
lmao...for his 25 yo gf...

Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by TB993tt
(I can post more intercooler pics if anyone is interested ?)

Please do.

What turbos would they be running? 2xK27?

On a side note, it seems that 9ff are using 104mm Liners in this Turbo car...

Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute
nice gathering you have there

about 9ff I can say some things....as my ex gt2 was build there.
In my opinion Fatthauer is cleaver guy and very good engineer.
He developed many solution that tuners copy after him. He developed cams, compressor wheels,pistons, conrods whatever you want.
There is one problem 9ff work style is not good enough for me, but I'm pedant.
9ff use water spray on the coolers and it to the intake system too.
My ex gt2 was running with both spray, was working perfect in combination with ice.

regarding to the coolers, they are very very important piece of turbo car

One more question to US tuners, why German ecu guy is working for one of your greatest tuner? His name is Schindler. This guy was responsible for pdf development.

and another,how many of US tuners is able to run 997 tt/GT2 without maf's ?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute997tt/rs has a reputation beyond repute
regarding 4L engine, I'm not sure if they running it....with 4L there is a lot of problems a liners are huge and there is no space in the block, water canals etc.
The real 4L would cost as I remember 15 or 20k euros.
but maybe they are doing all the gob.

Quick Reply: 9ff TR-1000 pass 391.7 KM/H @ Papenburg