Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

2010 997 Turbo "S"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by trice9
So, got some frustrating news today. I had placed my order and deposit about a month ago for a turbo cab. I was next in line at my dealer, so I would get the first allocation they got for the Feb-July production run. We've been waiting the last few weeks to get the allocations from PCNA. In the last 48 hours, PCNA has delivered the dealer allocations for Feb-July. My dealer got ZERO turbo allocations, but they did get 2 S allocations. I wasn't happy because 1) rather than getting a Feb build, the first S build date is April (although it's going to be a MY11), and 2) I'm not sure I want the S - or better put, not sure I want to pay the extra $$.

I called four other dealers (big ones) to see what they got for allocations and was ready to give someone else some business (my deposit is obviously refundable). None of them got "base" turbo allocations, just a few S allocations. Two of them told me Porsche is only making the S from here on.

Frustrated and not sure what to believe. Few questions:

1) Has anyone heard anything on this matter? Does it make sense that they would only build S's? Would they take a break from "base" turbo's, then start producing them again in 6 or 9 months? Would they really only build S's for the next few years until the new turbo comes out? I don't understand their strategy.

2) What do we know about the S? Speculation has been that it will have about 530 hp, PDK, ceramics (I was getting PDK, not the ceramics, and don't need the extra 30 hp)? What else? Any changes to exterior or interior? I like the turbo the way it is, i'm nervous they will make a change that I don't like. What about cost? How much more? What were the features and price difference the last time Porsche made an S? If the first S's are being built in April, when will more info become publicly available? Hard for me to commit to an S not knowing this info and tired of being in limbo and waiting. Other options would be to buy one of the turbo's on their way over now for inventory - problem is the ones I've seen aren't exactly what I want and I really wanted to build it exactly to my specs, so I'm not crazy about this option. Other option is to buy a non-Porsche. If the S is going to get close to $180k, this option becomes more appealing (my cab was spec'd out at $167k and not really willing to add another $10-$15k).

Maybe this is why Porsche is in financial trouble. They have customers that want to spend $160k on their cars, and yet they can't fill the order. Never thought it would be so hard to find a dealer to take my money.
Porsche builds coupes first, and cabs second. They like to get coupes out, then build the cabs usually at a 2:1 ratio from what I understand.

I have not heard that they will only build Turbo S models. Not to say others don't know, but I have not seen renderings or pricing on that car yet. My guess is 155k-ish.

Additionally, your last statement is counterintuitive. They are returning to a demand-supply model (so they say). Limited production = sticker cars, which is good for Porsche overall. It would stand to reason this increases their margins, they won't have to put money back on the cars and so on should they keep supply levels below demand. I am also not aware of Porsche being in dire financial straights? Obviously it is very possible I am not "tuned in" to something.

However, to your original point: based off of their track record, I'm not surprised they are not building cabs immediately.

Last edited by cstroked; 12-06-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cstroked
Porsche builds coupes first, and cabs second. They like to get coupes out, then build the cabs usually at a 2:1 ratio from what I understand.

I have not heard that they will only build Turbo S models. Not to say others don't know, but I have not seen renderings or pricing on that car yet. My guess is 155k-ish.

Additionally, your last statement is counterintuitive. They are returning to a demand-supply model (so they say). Limited production = sticker cars, which is good for Porsche overall. It would stand to reason this increases their margins, they won't have to put money back on the cars and so on should they keep supply levels below demand. I am also not aware of Porsche being in dire financial straights? Obviously it is very possible I am not "tuned in" to something.

However, to your original point: based off of their track record, I'm not surprised they are not building cabs immediately.
I know smaller supply should result in greater profit per car. My point was made a little out of frustration - they have a potential customer that is willing to spend $170k on one of their cars, paying sticker, but if that customer has to wait 9+ months, he may go elsewhere. As far as Porsche's troubles, read up on the Porsche/VW battle takeover battle and Porsche's heavy debt load. Here's a quick blurb
http://www.caradvice.com.au/32022/po...-billion-loan/

And as far as building cabs vs. coupes, i was told the S's will be available immediately in cabs.

I just need to figure out what the S includes (hopefully not the fixed rear wing that we've seen in some pics) and pricing, but not crazy about the idea of spending more than I had planned for "extras" that I'm not sold on. The "base" turbo has everything I could want.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JenK is an unknown quantity at this point
I see your point about wanting to order the car YOU want. You should check with Stoppie for an allocation. He is a board sponsor and I bought a car from him. He is excellent to deal with and no BS.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Trice9 give me a call, maybe I can help you out.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
I know smaller supply should result in greater profit per car. My point was made a little out of frustration - they have a potential customer that is willing to spend $170k on one of their cars, paying sticker, but if that customer has to wait 9+ months, he may go elsewhere. As far as Porsche's troubles, read up on the Porsche/VW battle takeover battle and Porsche's heavy debt load. Here's a quick blurb
http://www.caradvice.com.au/32022/po...-billion-loan/

And as far as building cabs vs. coupes, i was told the S's will be available immediately in cabs.

I just need to figure out what the S includes (hopefully not the fixed rear wing that we've seen in some pics) and pricing, but not crazy about the idea of spending more than I had planned for "extras" that I'm not sold on. The "base" turbo has everything I could want.
I understand your point an the unfortunate part is that no dealer is going to have control over what Porsche does and does not do, and what they do and do not build. If anything, dealerships are at the mercy of the the manufacturer. Surely Chris (Stoppie) @ Olmsted, Dustin (Roccoman) @ Gossett, or any of the other sponsors would gladly order your car for you but there's no way to put a guarantee on something one has not been informed about.

Porsche's financial trouble - and I do not know what their state is as of 12/09 as that's dated 6/09 - really isn't concerning in my opinion given the state of VW as a whole.

I have yet to hear of an S cab but I am low paygrade and probably would be last to know. If they only built S's I wouldn't be surprised as that's what they did in 05. I should think that as soon as the S details are confirmed, your dealer would contact you. If not, I am positive there are dealers out there who would gladly do so, including our sponsors. I can relate as I can be impatient as hell when I'm shelling out the money, but it's tough to hold the dealership accountable when it's out of their control.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Gerardo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

For the turboS. can it still option the Custom Color Leather ??

Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gerardo
For the turboS. can it still option the Custom Color Leather ??
Depends on the destination Country. I'm sure there is....

Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Gerardo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Depends on the destination Country. I'm sure there is....
Thanks for your info

Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JenK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Welp.....

It turns out that my Rep isn't / wasn't completely wrong.

The 2010 Turbo Coupe / Cabriolet production appears to only be a blip on the screen. The Turbo S- both Coupe and Cabriolet will be due out this summer. I've not 100% confirmation on all the specifics; but PCCB's will definately be on the car. Figure on a base price for the Coupe in the $150's and Cabriolet in the upper $160's.

I'm assuming power around 550hp; but this is only speculation.

I just have no idea why the normal Turbo production cycle is so short. I've also heard that once the Turbo S's are gone...

That's it for Turbo's until they start producing Turbo's for the next gen 911.

I like it so far...we just need to decide on what color paint to sample Porsche blue it's going to be! I think this car would become a classic!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
So, got some frustrating news today. I had placed my order and deposit about a month ago for a turbo cab. I was next in line at my dealer, so I would get the first allocation they got for the Feb-July production run. We've been waiting the last few weeks to get the allocations from PCNA. In the last 48 hours, PCNA has delivered the dealer allocations for Feb-July. My dealer got ZERO turbo allocations, but they did get 2 S allocations. I wasn't happy because 1) rather than getting a Feb build, the first S build date is April (although it's going to be a MY11), and 2) I'm not sure I want the S - or better put, not sure I want to pay the extra $$.

I called four other dealers (big ones) to see what they got for allocations and was ready to give someone else some business (my deposit is obviously refundable). None of them got "base" turbo allocations, just a few S allocations. Two of them told me Porsche is only making the S from here on.

Frustrated and not sure what to believe. Few questions:

1) Has anyone heard anything on this matter? Does it make sense that they would only build S's? Would they take a break from "base" turbo's, then start producing them again in 6 or 9 months? Would they really only build S's for the next few years until the new turbo comes out? I don't understand their strategy.

2) What do we know about the S? Speculation has been that it will have about 530 hp, PDK, ceramics (I was getting PDK, not the ceramics, and don't need the extra 30 hp)? What else? Any changes to exterior or interior? I like the turbo the way it is, i'm nervous they will make a change that I don't like. What about cost? How much more? What were the features and price difference the last time Porsche made an S? If the first S's are being built in April, when will more info become publicly available? Hard for me to commit to an S not knowing this info and tired of being in limbo and waiting. Other options would be to buy one of the turbo's on their way over now for inventory - problem is the ones I've seen aren't exactly what I want and I really wanted to build it exactly to my specs, so I'm not crazy about this option. Other option is to buy a non-Porsche. If the S is going to get close to $180k, this option becomes more appealing (my cab was spec'd out at $167k and not really willing to add another $10-$15k).

Maybe this is why Porsche is in financial trouble. They have customers that want to spend $160k on their cars, and yet they can't fill the order. Never thought it would be so hard to find a dealer to take my money.
Quick update with some good news. my dealer found a turbo cab allocation. it's my understanding that there are less than 20 for the US for the Feb-July production run. There are some S allocations you can get your hands on, but for non S turbo slots to spec out, they are virtually non-existent (trust me, i spoke to many dealers during this process). i got lucky. anyway, not only did i get an allocation, i got a feb build. can't wait.

Quick Reply: 2010 997 Turbo "S"