Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

2010 997 Turbo "S"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JZ997tt
The last GT2 was a joke in terms of sales. I would not be surprised if they just canned it. There are still new 2's on lots all across the country. I feel bad for the guys that paid premiums, not so bad for the dealers trying to get premiums and worse for the car. After driving one for 45 mins, I walked back into the dealer and plunked down my deposit and ordered an 09 Turbo.

With the Turbo S, the Gt2 has no position in the model line IMO.

Funny, all this talk about power, power, more power and I find most of these cars with the average owner have a hard time using 35% of what is available. If Porsche does continue making the Widow Maker, it should do something about the price. One would think a car without creature comforts would cost less not more
You see the light the 997 GT2 didn't sell well at all and at the price level it fails as people know the constant hits these cars take expecially the GT2 (GT3 not as bad), the 3.8/PDK TT engine is maxed and can handle nothing more unless you feel like replacing the motor when you blow it.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
What makes you guys say the 3.8L TT engine is maxed out? Nobody has tried tuning it yet, have they?
And I would guess it's not if it comes with 500hp, yet a Turbo S with 530+ is coming, and GT2s are rumored with 560+, all with warranty. I would bet 600 is easily obtainable.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyatth
What makes you guys say the 3.8L TT engine is maxed out? Nobody has tried tuning it yet, have they?
And I would guess it's not if it comes with 500hp, yet a Turbo S with 530+ is coming, and GT2s are rumored with 560+, all with warranty. I would bet 600 is easily obtainable.
...because it's NOT a GT1 block, they want to poo-poo it.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
I know the block is different, but that doesn't mean it's automatically crap. High HP attempts haven't even be made, so it's unfair to say with authority that it can't handle it. We'll have to wait and see when tuners finally get a copy.
And replacing the GT1 block isn't necessarily "poo-pooing" it. Yes that block was strong and fun, but it was dated. Porsche thought it was time to introduce newer technology, which, unsurprisingly, yields the remarkable 0-60 time of 3 flat.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyatth
I know the block is different, but that doesn't mean it's automatically crap. High HP attempts haven't even be made, so it's unfair to say with authority that it can't handle it. We'll have to wait and see when tuners finally get a copy.
And replacing the GT1 block isn't necessarily "poo-pooing" it. Yes that block was strong and fun, but it was dated. Porsche thought it was time to introduce newer technology, which, unsurprisingly, yields the remarkable 0-60 time of 3 flat.
- Couldn't agree with you more.

I was just poking fun at those who automatically want to poo poo it.

If the new Block is poo; then I like POO.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE

eventhough I agree with you guys, that astonishing 0-60 time is only because of the LC. Not saying it doesn't accelerate like a BITCH. But it certainly isnt like the car keeps on going at that rate

Old 11-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zooyorker
eben though I agree with you guys, that astonishing 0-60 time is only because of the LC. Not saying it doesnt accelerate like a BITCH. But it certainly isnt like the car keeps on going at that rate
0-200 in 10,4 seconds according to the recent test in Auto Zeitung. Don't need tp say more than that.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
So, got some frustrating news today. I had placed my order and deposit about a month ago for a turbo cab. I was next in line at my dealer, so I would get the first allocation they got for the Feb-July production run. We've been waiting the last few weeks to get the allocations from PCNA. In the last 48 hours, PCNA has delivered the dealer allocations for Feb-July. My dealer got ZERO turbo allocations, but they did get 2 S allocations. I wasn't happy because 1) rather than getting a Feb build, the first S build date is April (although it's going to be a MY11), and 2) I'm not sure I want the S - or better put, not sure I want to pay the extra $$.

I called four other dealers (big ones) to see what they got for allocations and was ready to give someone else some business (my deposit is obviously refundable). None of them got "base" turbo allocations, just a few S allocations. Two of them told me Porsche is only making the S from here on.

Frustrated and not sure what to believe. Few questions:

1) Has anyone heard anything on this matter? Does it make sense that they would only build S's? Would they take a break from "base" turbo's, then start producing them again in 6 or 9 months? Would they really only build S's for the next few years until the new turbo comes out? I don't understand their strategy.

2) What do we know about the S? Speculation has been that it will have about 530 hp, PDK, ceramics (I was getting PDK, not the ceramics, and don't need the extra 30 hp)? What else? Any changes to exterior or interior? I like the turbo the way it is, i'm nervous they will make a change that I don't like. What about cost? How much more? What were the features and price difference the last time Porsche made an S? If the first S's are being built in April, when will more info become publicly available? Hard for me to commit to an S not knowing this info and tired of being in limbo and waiting. Other options would be to buy one of the turbo's on their way over now for inventory - problem is the ones I've seen aren't exactly what I want and I really wanted to build it exactly to my specs, so I'm not crazy about this option. Other option is to buy a non-Porsche. If the S is going to get close to $180k, this option becomes more appealing (my cab was spec'd out at $167k and not really willing to add another $10-$15k).

Maybe this is why Porsche is in financial trouble. They have customers that want to spend $160k on their cars, and yet they can't fill the order. Never thought it would be so hard to find a dealer to take my money.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Teamspeed Member
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by STOPPIE

And poo is what you're gonna get

Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Trice if the S comes as we have been told it will be a better value most likely based upon the options you were adding. Don't really expect any exterior modifications to make you feel any differently about the car, most likely it will be minimum if any besides badging and/or aerokit options.

"Never thought it would be so hard to find a dealer to take my money."

That's hard to believe in this economy huh!
Hopefully more details will start flowing soon.

Quick Reply: 2010 997 Turbo "S"