Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

/// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
Todd, great write up and awesome pics. Very interesting how these rods bend at 650TQ level. One, I consider myself lucky b/c I pushed mine to the limit on stock bottom end. Cracked rod, wow. Bryant, consider yourself lucky that it did not go thru the crank case, it would have been costly brother. Great work Todd Looking forward to another sick build.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
dk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Todd@EVOMS
David,

You sure are curious about this. Why does this peak your interest?
Todd,
I simply want the facts and the whole story on this particular car. To use this one particular instance to prove your theory that the stock rod are not good for anything over 700 crank hp just doesn't hold water for me. i have seen bent rods and blown motors from cars with less than 700 hp. quite possibly the damage had been done to the motor from something completely unrelated to rods and it was just a matter of time before it was going to let go.
David

Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Former Sponsor
Todd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dk996tt
Todd,
To use this one particular instance to prove your theory that the stock rod are not good for anything over 700 crank hp just doesn't hold water for me. i have seen bent rods and blown motors from cars with less than 700 hp. quite possibly the damage had been done to the motor from something completely unrelated to rods and it was just a matter of time before it was going to let go.
David
David,

We have built about 200 of these M96.70 and M97.70 engines over the past 7 years and this is NOT the first time we have seen this. I have dozens of stock rods that are bent and were removed from well running engines. As mentioned earlier in this thread, these rods have been a weak link in many generations of the turbo engines. I have even replaced the rods in many 930 engines including my own back in the early 1990's for the same reason. I am not sure why you are pushing this issue. These are the facts and this the reality with these engines when they are pushed hard.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Former Sponsor
Todd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond reputeTodd@EVOMS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TurboArt
Todd, great write up and awesome pics. Very interesting how these rods bend at 650TQ level. One, I consider myself lucky b/c I pushed mine to the limit on stock bottom end. Cracked rod, wow. Bryant, consider yourself lucky that it did not go thru the crank case, it would have been costly brother. Great work Todd Looking forward to another sick build.
Thanks Art. The cracked rod was a first for me. Usually they are bent or broken. There was another rod in this engine that was bent as well. None of the bearings were beat up and there was no sign of any other premature wear, excessive heat or detonation. I have never seen a bent Carrillo rod in all of the engines that we have built. There was 1 race engine that spun a rod bearing and the driver continued to push the engine. The rod got so hot that it finally welded itself to the crank and the rod finally broke. The pieces of the rod were blue from all of the heat transfer. Good to finally meet you. Take care

Old 11-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Most important fact here is that you saved Bryant his engine LOL. Catching a bent/cracked one on time was insane IMO. Other than that the write up was great and Likewise Todd.

Originally Posted by Todd@EVOMS
Thanks Art. The cracked rod was a first for me. Usually they are bent or broken. There was another rod in this engine that was bent as well. None of the bearings were beat up and there was no sign of any other premature wear, excessive heat or detonation. I have never seen a bent Carrillo rod in all of the engines that we have built. There was 1 race engine that spun a rod bearing and the driver continued to push the engine. The rod got so hot that it finally welded itself to the crank and the rod finally broke. The pieces of the rod were blue from all of the heat transfer. Good to finally meet you. Take care

Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the write ups and pics. I appreciate the chance to get schooled.

Can't believe you can get that all back together when done.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
i know Sharky has some bent & twisted rod pics from my old 600hp build... no question - internals need to be built. pay now or pay more later.

- chuck

Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
gotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant futuregotboost? has a brilliant future
Can't wait to see what monster Todd will create out of this one!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:44 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
No doubt it will be a Teamspeed feature Todd!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
domesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed!

Quick Reply: /// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\