Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Tym Switzer Post: Exploring the Stock 997TT Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Jo, have you guys been following this thread, it's been on 6speed, and Todd just posted the thread here. 680whp 996TT...look at the rod...
Any comments?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jo_Switzer
Absolutely, and the inherent strength of the motor and adaptability of the DME is, in many cases, what keeps these engines from coming apart while some of the "tooners" out there keep pushing forward with a trial-and-error approach.

Every day, there is a new post or advert. from somewhere talking about how these cars can't be reliable over 600 hp without internals. We proved that wrong with almost 30 daily driven 700/750 kits. A year or so later, those same posters and advertisers started saying you can't go over 700 hp without internals. A few months from now, after the first batch of P800s reach a trouble-free 12,000 mile mark with heavy track and media-test-drive abuse, 800 will be called "the upper limit" for engines without a full (and highly profitable!) internal build.

With as many moving parts as there are in a complicated assembly like a modern, multivalve turbo engine, there is obviously more to the equation than a simple "anything over ___ needs ___", and using scare tactics to sell expensive engine internals (or anything other unneeded service, for that matter) is just wrong.

Just. Plain. Wrong.

Thanks for listening - I'll get off my soapbox now.

I would like to offer my services for those daily driving tests on the P800

Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
If the 997tt.2 does have an akra exhaust (first I heard of it - pic looks right !) it will be the muffler only like on the GT2 - this will not be $15K - try $2K for a manufacturing contract from Porsche AG
The $15K Akra stuff includes cats, housings and pipes in Ti and headers in Ti plus small volume production special mufflers.

Sorry, but the GT2 picture I posted looks identical to the Akra system from their web site, inclusing the cats and the headers. I am sure Porsche pays less bu it does not look like just a cheaper muffler of their version. Even the stock muffler of the 997tt without cats and headers is over $3,000, not sayin' it is worth that much but the titanium exhaust is certainly more than $2,000. That's what you pay for titanium tips.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Schwabe
Sorry, but the GT2 picture I posted looks identical to the Akra system from their web site, inclusing the cats and the headers. I am sure Porsche pays less bu it does not look like just a cheaper muffler of their version. Even the stock muffler of the 997tt without cats and headers is over $3,000, not sayin' it is worth that much but the titanium exhaust is certainly more than $2,000. That's what you pay for titanium tips.
I am not sure what you are saying ?

All I was trying to point out is that if Porsche is using Akra for the 997.2tt muffler then they will probably not be paying more than $2K per unit for the muffler - that is all..... I am not commenting on what we have to pay for stuff, just that a factory fitted Akra exhaust on the new 997.2tt will not be the expensive item you implied...

Edit: I just re-read what you wrote: do you think that the factory GT2 muffler is the same as the aftermarket one on their website ? I can tell you categorically that it is not. It is different in many ways, I know, you may be able to guess why

Last edited by TB993tt; 10-31-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Jo, have you guys been following this thread, it's been on 6speed, and Todd just posted the thread here. 680whp 996TT...look at the rod...
Any comments?

Hadn't seen it - but it's on TS now, as well (https://teamspeed.com/forums/997-996...etermined.html posted about 30 min. after my rant).

Regardless, I've sent the pics over to Tym to get his (vastly more technical/qualified than my) opinion. My first thoughts looking at the pics you posted (again, not a tech/engineer) are that you would see similar damage on a totally stock engine with an over-rev, bad fuel/detonation, or else from boost coming on too quickly (tuning problem).

A quick Google search of "engine detonation bent rods" (without the "") yields a number of applicable examples, and as I'm reading through them (a Mazdaspeed forum and superchargersonline are open tabs in my browser as I type this) my basic level of understanding leads me to believe that this type of detonation damage is (or can be) caused by a fueling/timing issue (read: botched tune) and there is not any sort of direct 1:1 relationship with horsepower and/or peak boost numbers.

Heck, I've bent rods on both my Lancias, and they were NA cars (one mechanical over-rev from a botched up-shift, and one detonation issue).

In any event, I certainly didn't have those guys in mind when I wrote my little rant (think "Europe" and "expensive"), and I also don't think they're posting that as a targeted response to my/Tym's "Exploring the Limits" PR posts from a few days ago (SWITZER PERFORMANCE NEWS: Exploring The Limits). We're not that big on anyone's radar, that I'm aware of. We are, however, getting to work on our winter development projects - and so is Evoms, and so is everyone else. I would be surprised if there aren't more big announcements from the Benz and BMW tuners in the coming weeks, as well.

That said, we will continue developing thoroughly engineered 700+ hp bolt-on kits that we have total confidence in, and other shops will continue to sell $10-15K internal builds that they have confidence in. Just like extended warranties, additional rust-proofing, and dealer service agreements: to some people, added security just seems like a good idea, no matter what the cost. That's no reason we can't all get along, you know?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Teamspeed Member
Forgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Great tech story! TeamSpeed is simply a cut above.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jo_Switzer
Regardless, I've sent the pics over to Tym to get his (vastly more technical/qualified than my) opinion. My first thoughts looking at the pics you posted (again, not a tech/engineer) are that you would see similar damage on a totally stock engine with an over-rev, bad fuel/detonation, or else from boost coming on too quickly (tuning problem.
I think the previous owner had purchased his car stock, then upgraded with different tuners along the way, running anywhere between 1.4 to 1.55 with 11.9 to 12.9 AFRs. I guess what I'm wondering is if it is at all possible that the damage was done earlier with one of the previous tuners before he converted to the EVOMs GT700 kit, and whether or not the rod was bent/cracked all that time? After all, he was running 1.55 bar with a stock fuel system.

Last edited by bbywu; 11-01-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
dk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I think the previous owner had purchased his car stock, then upgraded with different tuners along the way, running anywhere between 1.4 to 1.55 with 11.9 to 12.9 AFRs. I guess what I'm wondering is if it is at all possible that the damage was done earlier with one of the previous tuners before he converted to the EVOMs GT700 kit, and whether or not the rod was bent/cracked all that time? After all, he was running 1.55 bar with a stock fuel system.
that is why i wanted to get the facts on this particular car. For EVOMS to come out and point out this one particular instance to prove their theory on why you need rods after 700 crank hp doesn't hold water. and in this case, it appears to be very likely that the damage had already been done long ago with improper tuning, inadequate fuel delivery, etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
DK

It isn't "theory" and it isn't "EVO's"........

It is obvious from Tym's "technical" splurge above that he is a newbie to Porsche and doesn't know the history of these engines.

The engines weak points are well known because they were raced to destruction.....as Todd says, why are you guys so hell bent (no pun intended) on stock internals ? It is not a badge of honour, it just shows that you don't know that much about this engine and its background......

Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Teamspeed Member
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Your thoughts are mine as well. My car at WOT runs AFR's below 10.5 @ 1.5 bar on pump fuel. 11.9 ro 12.9 @ 1.55 bar sounds considerably more aggressive than the tune I have. Perhaps too aggressive?

Quick Reply: Tym Switzer Post: Exploring the Stock 997TT Engine