Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Tym Switzer Post: Exploring the Stock 997TT Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
What is the latest year for the 997.1 Turbo?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Luis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
here is what I noticed yesterday when I was looking at the new 997.2tt engine promo and saw an Akrapovic exhaust. Anybody who can confirm or deny??? Thanks.

here is there tt exhaust:

Here is the best pick I could find on the 997.2tt engine and a snap of the GT2 titanium exhaust, looks very similar to me

GT2 exhaust

the new 997.2tt engine also gets the GT2 expansion intake manifold. So even it is a cheaper engine they threw in some goodies from the GT2. The exhaust saved them probably some 30-40lbs as the new tt is also about 100lbs lighter.

Really looking forward to see what you guys can do to it.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the rough
very cool, i think our TTs need better exhaust from the factory... they should not weld the cats factory exhaust into the mufflers (should use clamps or bolts), so when they ship the car out from the factory, they can use the 500 cell cats to lower emissions claim and then anyone who intends to mod it could just change the cats instead of the whole thing...

Anyway if Akra is going to be the factory exhaust, I suppose its still not worth the trade off for the gt1 block...

Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
I agree it is not worth the trade off, but at least you see where the money went compared to the 997.1 when they down graded the engine but kept the prices level. An Akra is what $15K at best and the new GT2 air intake. At least something plus the new tt should stock already sound better than the 997.1 which sounds like a Prius stock.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Schwabe
I agree it is not worth the trade off, but at least you see where the money went compared to the 997.1 when they down graded the engine but kept the prices level. An Akra is what $15K at best and the new GT2 air intake. At least something plus the new tt should stock already sound better than the 997.1 which sounds like a Prius stock.
If the 997tt.2 does have an akra exhaust (first I heard of it - pic looks right !) it will be the muffler only like on the GT2 - this will not be $15K - try $2K for a manufacturing contract from Porsche AG
The $15K Akra stuff includes cats, housings and pipes in Ti and headers in Ti plus small volume production special mufflers.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get too excited, the 997.2 uses A91 and not M64.

It's a non raced wet sumper, I wonder how long the engine will run at 550HP, let alone 700HP.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
wow had no idea about all this but can't say I'm very surprised.

there has been a huge market for boosting these TT cars to the limits for years

Old 10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I think a properly federalized E34 M5 3.8 touring and a 997.1 Turbo in orange would do nicely in my garage.

That is, after we have our own garage when we finally buy a stupid house.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by .:Raul
wow had no idea about all this but can't say I'm very surprised.

there has been a huge market for boosting these TT cars to the limits for years
Absolutely, and the inherent strength of the motor and adaptability of the DME is, in many cases, what keeps these engines from coming apart while some of the "tooners" out there keep pushing forward with a trial-and-error approach.

Every day, there is a new post or advert. from somewhere talking about how these cars can't be reliable over 600 hp without internals. We proved that wrong with almost 30 daily driven 700/750 kits. A year or so later, those same posters and advertisers started saying you can't go over 700 hp without internals. A few months from now, after the first batch of P800s reach a trouble-free 12,000 mile mark with heavy track and media-test-drive abuse, 800 will be called "the upper limit" for engines without a full (and highly profitable!) internal build.

With as many moving parts as there are in a complicated assembly like a modern, multivalve turbo engine, there is obviously more to the equation than a simple "anything over ___ needs ___", and using scare tactics to sell expensive engine internals (or anything other unneeded service, for that matter) is just wrong.

Just. Plain. Wrong.

Thanks for listening - I'll get off my soapbox now.

Quick Reply: Tym Switzer Post: Exploring the Stock 997TT Engine