Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Newbie to tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Teamspeed Member
parkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond repute
Newbie to tuning

Folks, I am trying to decide whether to tune my 09 997TT or trade in for an 07 GT3RS that is practically brand new. Any thoughts? I have never tuned a car before so not sure at all how much more I would like my TT with more power. A few questions:

1. Which tuner would you go with in the US for quality + value?
2. Does ECU tuning with new exhaust eliminate most of the turbo lag in the 997TTs?
3. For those of you who have tuned their 997TTs, how much of a difference do you feel after? How noticeable is the difference in launching the car? How much MORE FUN is it to drive?

In the end, will you get a similar thrill to driving a GT3RS???

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Not an owner of either or anything, but here goes nothing.

#1 - RUF. Money must be no object, though.
#2 - no idea
#3 - no idea

More thrill than a GT3RS? I do not see that happening, unless all you do is straight line freeway pulls.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
sparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nice
  1. There are lots of options. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, I went with EVOMSit for my 2009 997TT because I like how Todd tunes. SharkWerks did all of the work on my car and I highly recommend at least talking with them.
  2. ECU+exhaust reduces the lag, but nothing eliminates it.
  3. There is a huge difference between tuned and stock. It certainly makes the car more enjoyable.
The TT and GT3RS are completely different animals. A few people drive the GT3RS daily, but the TT makes a better daily driver, IMHO. It all depends on what you want you are looking for and how you plan to use the car.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Member
parkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
More thrill than a GT3RS? I do not see that happening, unless all you do is straight line freeway pulls.
Thanks - that's what everyone seems to tell me, but wasn't sure if that was comparing only to a stock TT.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by sparkhill
  1. There are lots of options. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, I went with EVOMSit for my 2009 997TT because I like how Todd tunes. SharkWerks did all of the work on my car and I highly recommend at least talking with them.
  2. ECU+exhaust reduces the lag, but nothing eliminates it.
  3. There is a huge difference between tuned and stock. It certainly makes the car more enjoyable.
The TT and GT3RS are completely different animals. A few people drive the GT3RS daily, but the TT makes a better daily driver, IMHO. It all depends on what you want you are looking for and how you plan to use the car.
Thanks. Does the ECU+exhaust eliminate *most* of the lag?

I'm just concerned that even though I don't drive the TT daily (use the Cayenne) I would miss the features that are in my customized 09.

However, it appears the GT3RS would retain better value so probably a better call to switch now before the 2010 TTs come out? Or will the 09 and earlier TTs hold value due to better engine?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Ruf 550

Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Member
raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
A tuned 997TT will blow your mind. Seriously. I literally feel like I am constantly fighting the cars urging to go insanely fast...it taunts you...it begs you to do it...you need some serious self control to keep yourself from ending up doing something stupid...but every time you are in the car...you battle the temptation.

The sounds, the smells and the adrenaline are very addictive...sell your car now while you can...while you can still get away...run...

Or...join us........you'll never look back...you'll never doubt your decision...you will only kick yourself in the rear end for not doing it sooner!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by raclaims
A tuned 997TT will blow your mind. Seriously. I literally feel like I am constantly fighting the cars urging to go insanely fast...it taunts you...it begs you to do it...you need some serious self control to keep yourself from ending up doing something stupid...but every time you are in the car...you battle the temptation.

The sounds, the smells and the adrenaline are very addictive...sell your car now while you can...while you can still get away...run...

Or...join us........you'll never look back...you'll never doubt your decision...you will only kick yourself in the rear end for not doing it sooner!
Thanks - now you're making my decision to get the RS much harder....

How much do you feel the turbo lag post-tuning?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enoughjase will become famous soon enough

Tune the Turbo for sure!!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Teamspeed Member
raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
The turbo lag is nearly non existent.

The car really feels like a V12 now!

Where do you live? If you are anywhere near me I'm happy to give you a ride...

Quick Reply: Newbie to tuning