Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

EVO: Buyer's Guide: Porsche 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
Yea. Great post. You guys should post these more often.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OPTIONS
wow, does this car have that many problems??? I will be in the market for one soon...but after reading this...I duont know
I would consider it a check list. An informed buyer is a good buyer. Very few if any cars have ALL of those problems.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread, worthy of a revisit.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
domesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Great thread, worthy of a revisit.
X2 Thanks for bumping DJ. I didn't know this buyer's guide was available on the team. It will def. come in handy in a few months (if things go the way I want).

Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
I would consider it a check list. An informed buyer is a good buyer. Very few if any cars have ALL of those problems.
at this point, if i sold my car, i could probably label it a 2009 - 2010

i'll add one more to my original list:
- transmission is not bullet-proof

- chuck

Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
wow, does this car have that many problems??? I will be in the market for one soon...but after reading this...I duont know
This checklist is nothing compared to any of the comparable cars in 2001 almost 9 years later.. The whole car has fallen apart by now for most other makes.. Porsche is the only PERFORMANCE car i have owned that a 2001 can feel and drive like a 2009.. Checkout the list of issue from an 01 Ferarri and not just an 01 Ferrari but an 01 with 10k miles.. Porsche with 100k still driving like 1st 10k.. I have 1 customer with 107K and if you didnt check the cluster you would never know.. And his makes 800whp.. LOL

Mike

Old 08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
at this point, if i sold my car, i could probably label it a 2009 - 2010

i'll add one more to my original list:
- transmission is not bullet-proof

- chuck
My X50 transmission was replaced 2x under warranty...2nd gear pop out issues , other then that perfect car

Old 08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by carendt242
it's missing a few things:

- coolant hoses start popping off @ 60k miles (there are 8 to replace i think - drop the engine)
- coolant tank heats & cracks after 30k miles
- front wheel bearings (sharkwerks just made a post)
- 2nd-gear pop-out issue
- get a boost check
- engines are not bullet-proof - check the ECU screws to make sure they were never removed
- get computer tested for type 2 revs
- and probably a lot more i've forgot

- chuck
If the Porsche Turbo motor isnt BulletProof What is?? These cars are holding more than Double the Factory HP.. Reliably too.. My buddies has 750whp BONE STOCK motor and he does 30 minute track sessions with it at that level.. LOL

Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
hets72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Was doing extensive research on the 996 Turbo over the past months - and finally recently bought a very nice one...

... 1 owner, 4000 miles car - maintained perfectly

Built to order by Porsche Exclusive:
X50 Power Kit, Full Leather, Sport Seats, Rear Seat delete, Pan Americana Roll Bar, CD Charger, Rear Parking Sensors, Short Shifter, full inspection, new Tires, Porsche Used Car Warranty etc...

... and it drives like a new car...

Attached Images     
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
If you can find one that's bone stock start from there. The 2nd gear pop-out issue is something you can tell right away on a test drive, just leave the car in 2nd form roughly 5k RPM and let it slow down fully. If the car doesn't pop out of 2nd by the time you are almost stalled then no issue. I had this in my 2002 X50 but none of the others.

Quick Reply: EVO: Buyer's Guide: Porsche 996 Turbo