Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

A running pictorial of my new project B9R from BBI

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Chad, made a typo error fixed now. Betim and his team come from Porsche Lemans and Porsche motorsports team, no worries. You know your stuff really well BTW and I don't think I can answer all the details but I will ask Betim to chime in from time to time. I will keep you all posted on the build.

Originally Posted by cjv
RSR cams? A NA motor is completely different from a turbo charged motor as far as the lift and duration goes. In addition the cams for the GT3 heads/cam housings have a different number of pointers than a 996 turbo. How are you handling this? In addition, if you are modifying the GT3 cams, make absolutely certain the weld metal used is the same type Porsche uses otherwise you will flatten your lifters. The only other way you can go is to make your own lifters.

You are playing in a very tricky area.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
cjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TurboArt
Thanks Chad, made a typo error fixed now. Betim and his team come from Porsche Lemans and Porsche motorsports team, no worries. You know your stuff really well BTW and I don't think I can answer all the details but I will ask Betim to chime in from time to time. I will keep you all posted on the build.
My whole purpose for bring it up was I wanted you to be aware of the area you were heading. It is a tricky one that few Porsche engine builders have ventured. Many have played with the exhaust ...... few with the intake. I personally have been kissed in the dark more than once and wanted to make sure you had your eyes wide open going in.

Last edited by cjv; 04-05-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor
BBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond reputeBBI Autosport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
RSR cams? A NA motor is completely different from a turbo charged motor as far as the lift and duration goes. In addition the cams for the GT3 heads/cam housings have a different number of pointers than a 996 turbo. How are you handling this? In addition, if you are modifying the GT3 cams, make absolutely certain the weld metal used is the same type Porsche uses otherwise you will flatten your lifters. The only other way you can go is to make your own lifters.

You are playing in a very tricky area.
I think what Art was saying is that we are going form the "turbo" 3-lobe style cam to the "GT3" single lobe style cam/cam carriers and lifters.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
cjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbi autosport
I think what Art was saying is that we are going form the "turbo" 3-lobe style cam to the "GT3" single lobe style cam/cam carriers and lifters.
It sounds like you are regrinding the turbo cam. Are you eliminating the vario lift?

I understand you are using the GT3 heads. The valve lengths are longer and the lifters are different than the turbo's. I may not be understanding correctly. Could you state what heads, valves, tappets and cam housing you are using? I realize machine work may be required to make certain parts work. I'm not looking for your secrets. I'm trying to understsand your approach.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
i can't wait to see the pics!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
I will post pics by end of next week thanks for the support guys.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hey Chad,
Betim has been extremely busy with too many projects. I am sure by next week he will come in and chime in.

Originally Posted by cjv
It sounds like you are regrinding the turbo cam. Are you eliminating the vario lift?

I understand you are using the GT3 heads. The valve lengths are longer and the lifters are different than the turbo's. I may not be understanding correctly. Could you state what heads, valves, tappets and cam housing you are using? I realize machine work may be required to make certain parts work. I'm not looking for your secrets. I'm trying to understsand your approach.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura aboutReeknHavic has a spectacular aura about
This is going to be cool Art.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Thanks bro. Pics coming soon and a surprise at the end of the project.

Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
This is going to be cool Art.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member

Here is a picture of the turbo that will go in this bad boy.

Quick Reply: A running pictorial of my new project B9R from BBI