Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Looking for inexpensive way to haul my 997 turbo around to far away tracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed Member
neeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond repute
I just checked nissan murano has tow capacity of 3500 lbs. With upgraded electric brakes and transmission cooler think its possible to hitch a turbo and trailor?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
No a Murano is not appropriate for towing a TT. Do you really want to put your $140k vehicle and your life at risk because you wanted to save $5k?

Here is a link with some basic info.

How To Tow a Trailer

An lightweight and short aluminum trailer will probably weigh atleast 1000lbs. A TT + tools/spares etc will probably be close to 4000 lbs. So you need a car that at the least can tow 7000 lbs.

If you want a real tow vehicle then forget about gas mileage. Safety comes first which means you need a REAL tow vehicle. This means a vehicle with a tow rating atleast 150% of your car/trailer weight. It also means a vehicle with a long wheelbase. For eg, I tow my GT3/NSX/SM with a Yukon Denali XL(7900 lbs. tow rating). A guy I know tows his Z06 with a MB GL450(7500 lbs. tow rating). He states that is sways too much and feels unstable above 75 MPH.

If you want something inexpensive then I would look into last gen Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan or a Chevy/GMC 1500 extended wheel base.