Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Probably Canceling my TT order....and some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Probably Canceling my TT order....and some thoughts

I think I am going to cancel my 09 TT order which is scheduled to be built in the near future (Nov build spot but paint to sample).

My decision to cancel is based on a few variables.

The first and perhaps obvious one is that there is some tremendous uncertainty in the economic outlook. While my wife and I live well within our means, I’m not sure I can justify spending 150K on a new turbo right now.

The second factor stems from my recent introduction to PCA DEs. After 4 days of DE with PCA in my C4S this year, I now realize just ‘how much car’ my 3400 pound yellow hiliter really is. It is such a blast to drive on the track and I have so much to learn in terms of driving it closer to its potential.

I am so taken with tracking now that I am confident it will be part of my life forever. So,… I’m thinking I can reroute some money into tracking my C4S. One of the things that comes to mind would be getting a utility trailer that I could hook up to my 997 so I could bring more ‘stuff’ to the track like track rubber and more basic tools. I saw a Boxster outfitted like this last Monday at NHIS. I could also invest in a separate set of 18” rims and rubber for the track. I’d also have to think about bolstering the safety level of the car with a partial roll cage +/- seats/harnesses.

Then today,….out of the blue, my mother offered to give me her ‘99 Boxster and suggested that I could make a track car out of it !!!!! I don’t know if I would do this or not, but do I have a cool mom or what??? And she’s 70 years old. She and my father used to race an Austin Healey back in the 50s.

I think if my love affair with the track continues through next season that I would have to seriously consider taking this old Boxster and making a dedicated track car out of it. I don’t know anything about the suitability of the 99 Boxster as a track car, so I’d have to do lots of research. Anyhow, I don’t think I would do anything to the car until well into next season depending on how my DEs go.

What do you all think? Is there anyone else with cold feet stemming from the economy right now? Anybody here add a utility trailer to their 997? Have I lost my mind?

I have to admit that I feel sad about canceling my TT order. I just have to keep reminding myself that I’m lucky to have the car that I have now,….which is no slouch!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Boxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxstergirlie01 has a reputation beyond repute
i'm sorry to hear about what you may have to decide to do about the TT. one day, the economy will come back and then when it does, you can feel more comfortable about spending the $$ on it.

until then, yaaaa! enjoy that boxster on the track! you'll LOVE it! at least it will keep your need for speed occupied until then. not that the boxster compares to the TT by any means! but you can still have a blast on the twisties and the track!

good luck and best wishes with your decision!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I understand your dilemma, Dave.

I spent a weekend last month at a DE at Roebling Road. Although I was NOT using my C4S Cab, I was hooked. We had a full series of sessions with a pro PCA instructor using his 944, and I was blowing away turbos, 996's and others in the green group - it's all about technique, not horsepower.

Not sure I'd put my C4S Cab on the track, but I definitely want to do this more often.

Good luck with your decision, either way you're in good stead with the Porsche thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:12 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Dave solution is simple - go buy a 997 GT3 with low miles

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Hell, even a 996 GT3 would be perfect!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Teamspeed Member
byronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enoughbyronmaui will become famous soon enough
Cars come and go. I see it as no big deal. Unlike some of the youth today you are living within your means.

Aloha

Byron

P.S. Mexicoblue should love this comment >>>>>>Your parents did not spare the paddle when you were younger and feed you silver as a child thus your a respectable man today. Ok enough now back to the water for me.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Originally Posted by Russ
Hell, even a 996 GT3 would be perfect!
You guys are killing me! Stop it.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Boxstergirlie01
i'm sorry to hear about what you may have to decide to do about the TT. one day, the economy will come back and then when it does, you can feel more comfortable about spending the $$ on it.

until then, yaaaa! enjoy that boxster on the track! you'll LOVE it! at least it will keep your need for speed occupied until then. not that the boxster compares to the TT by any means! but you can still have a blast on the twisties and the track!

good luck and best wishes with your decision!
Thanks BG! I think I'll continue to track my C4S next season and then maybe look for advice on how to make the Boxster a dedicated track star.

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
I understand your dilemma, Dave.

I spent a weekend last month at a DE at Roebling Road. Although I was NOT using my C4S Cab, I was hooked. We had a full series of sessions with a pro PCA instructor using his 944, and I was blowing away turbos, 996's and others in the green group - it's all about technique, not horsepower.

Not sure I'd put my C4S Cab on the track, but I definitely want to do this more often.

Good luck with your decision, either way you're in good stead with the Porsche thing.
You're absolutely right Eric. I've had some truly great instruction at PCA and after 4 days have yet to give a passing signal despite the presence of a few TT and GT3s.

Fortunately I don't have to wait til the big thaw as I'm heading to PSDS next week for both the Intro and Masters courses!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
I think you are making a wise decision. Driving on the street gets really dull once you get the track bug. If you are just learning how to maximize your driving skill then it makes no sense to get rid of the car you are learning for a different car that is most likely going to hide a driver's(notice I didn't say yours:-))poor driving habits. Besides do you really want to take the depreciation hit twice?

Personally - I would track your car for a bit longer then trade for a 996GT3. Then you can't cheat with a C4S.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Ritesh
I think you are making a wise decision. Driving on the street gets really dull once you get the track bug. If you are just learning how to maximize your driving skill then it makes no sense to get rid of the car you are learning for a different car that is most likely going to hide a driver's(notice I didn't say yours:-))poor driving habits. Besides do you really want to take the depreciation hit twice?

Personally - I would track your car for a bit longer then trade for a 996GT3. Then you can't cheat with a C4S.
I would like a GT3 but it doesn't fulfill the daily driver requirement for me in Boston. This is where the C4S works very well for me....year round commuter that can drive through anything!
As for the cheating part, there's an uphill near hairpin turn at NHIS and my car can just rocket up it with the AWD....it's pretty impressive!

Quick Reply: Probably Canceling my TT order....and some thoughts