Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

Chris Harris's Rant: How Ferrari spins

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Then I hope Italians don't buy them so that there is a glut in the U.S. market and I can buy my next Ferrari cheap!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
brabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hesperus
not "always"

am a part-time (for fun) journalist for Top Gear Magazine in my country, and have been to 4 big Porsche events to launch new models. most recently for the GT2RS last October.

in each case, they gave me the keys, a map (or a route to plot on the GPS,) a time to be back by, and basically said "hope you enjoy our car".

have never been to a Ferrari event.
Well you a lucky man I must lol, I just assumed they always had people there to check the car after testing, to make fluids were right brakes weren't over heating or any issues like that from a large number of journalists flogging it around a track.

But I'm with you owning a Ruf I think they could tell you are more than capable of taking care of yourself.

p.s. your Ruf-rt12 is a car I've always lusted after I always wanted it in mexico blue, but in white it may look even better

Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Teamspeed Member
belfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant futurebelfiglio has a brilliant future
Chris Harris, thank you for alerting me to all the falsehoods of the automotive industry, we failed to buy Ferrari and also fail to buy magazines and accessing sites that journalists write articles without character.

We all know that the cars sent for tests in magazines are checked to detail the mechanics and technicians from manufacturers, fixing that scratch on the door, knob loose, naturally a high-performance sports car has to be adjusted to the street and get another adjustment to track.

Do not forget the Ferrari makes cars not normal, unless you find a car that makes normal 9000 RPM motor.

It takes the presence of the factory responsible to give proper attention to all the testers.

You is not the only one who test the cars, other riders have magazines in line to walk, imagine if the same day has three pilots scheduled for the same car, the first runs with the car pretty clean and well-ordered the last gets the rest tires dirty and almost out of gas

Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, MacLaren, ... all send their best designs and there are always technicians and mechanics to fix minor problems that may affect the conduct of tests by other testers.

Chris Harris, will answer frankly that just makes it a Ferrari?

Chris Harris not think we are all idiots.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really nice
Originally Posted by h20skier
Don't give up so fast. Go ride and drive one. Most of these brands past mind blowing about 5 years ago. Seriously you've not felt how good these things are until you've run them 8/10's plus hard for an hour or so. Most people 99,9999999999% will never do this but WHETHER they lie or not on paper it doesn't matter these cars are really that good.

Carrara I feel so blessed that you "guess" you will agree with me. Sorry kid I've always been on your side but once your britches are a bit bigger and you've taken your drivers test I'm off your Christmas list on off your side until you come to your senses.
I've been in a few ferraris, and drove a couple, and I gotta say the scud is probably on of the scariest rides I've been on (in a good way), but I just don't see the modenas and other less-hardcore ferraris to be THAT mind blowing anymore

Don't get me wrong, they are awesome cars that I would love to own, but many people don't get that the media inflates it too much sometimes that it gets you expectations WAY up and you get disappointed when you actually experience it

no doubt that ferrari builds awesome super cars, but so does a few other makers, they just gotta win the competitions, or lose them, in a fair matter. Putting pressure on reviewers and "cheating" is not tolerable IMO

all I'm saying is if you earn it, take it, if you don't, try harder next time, that's how they should play!

-AJ

Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really nice
Originally Posted by belfiglio
Chris Harris, thank you for alerting me to all the falsehoods of the automotive industry, we failed to buy Ferrari and also fail to buy magazines and accessing sites that journalists write articles without character.

We all know that the cars sent for tests in magazines are checked to detail the mechanics and technicians from manufacturers, fixing that scratch on the door, knob loose, naturally a high-performance sports car has to be adjusted to the street and get another adjustment to track.

Do not forget the Ferrari makes cars not normal, unless you find a car that makes normal 9000 RPM motor.

It takes the presence of the factory responsible to give proper attention to all the testers.

You is not the only one who test the cars, other riders have magazines in line to walk, imagine if the same day has three pilots scheduled for the same car, the first runs with the car pretty clean and well-ordered the last gets the rest tires dirty and almost out of gas

Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, MacLaren, ... all send their best designs and there are always technicians and mechanics to fix minor problems that may affect the conduct of tests by other testers.

Chris Harris, will answer frankly that just makes it a Ferrari?

Chris Harris not think we are all idiots.

VTEC

I'm just kidding, I get your point and while it has LOTS of truth it, they should set their facts straight!

-AJ

Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
rmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enough
good read. i remember reading a while back that no car mag could get a hold of the f50 to road test it. all owners who offered their cars were enticed by ferrari not to allow their cars to be tested until one person who owned the car outright (f50s were initially only available for lease to prevent customers flipping them) lent the car to a magazine for testing.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ressy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Barrister
Then I hope Italians don't buy them so that there is a glut in the U.S. market and I can buy my next Ferrari cheap!
Good luck mate!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
I really like Chris Harris work. But he's a little bit sour grapes on this one. Tuning cars for media and performance tesst isn't all that unusual. Nissan was accused of it by Porsche when they ran the GTR at the ring. Some people said the ZR1 wasn't stock at the ring either. In the end Ferrari, Porsche, et, al are investing tons of money into bringing supercars to market. Reputation is everything. If Ferrari or Porsche want to make sure the cars the bring to press events are at the absolute top of the game, I don't blame them.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Who cares. You have to assume everyone is doing this. It doesn't matter anyways because most drivers go from their house to starbucks and back. Moreover, the time I have spent in a Ferrari, I could care less if its 0-60 time was off by 0.2 seconds. The sound, looks, and feel of the car is what made it special. Credit to C Harris for sharing his thoughts.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Teamspeed Member
gvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I really like Chris Harris work. But he's a little bit sour grapes on this one. Tuning cars for media and performance tesst isn't all that unusual. Nissan was accused of it by Porsche when they ran the GTR at the ring. Some people said the ZR1 wasn't stock at the ring either. In the end Ferrari, Porsche, et, al are investing tons of money into bringing supercars to market. Reputation is everything. If Ferrari or Porsche want to make sure the cars the bring to press events are at the absolute top of the game, I don't blame them.
Right, but shouldn't the car I buy be at the top of it's game too?

Quick Reply: Chris Harris's Rant: How Ferrari spins