Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
blahblop123 is an unknown quantity at this point
btw, theres a big difference between standard pilot sport cup tyres (found on the E46 M3 CSL, Corvette ZR1/Z06 and Dodge Viper ACR) and the pilot sport cup+/z-spec tyres (found on porsche's)

Name:  PSCside-by-side.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  131.1 KB

Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Cartel...893 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do someone know how many kilometers the Huayra had which was used at Top Gear?

The reason why I'm asking is, because a Huayra was tested in germany at a TV show called "GRIP", and the testdriver said that this car has 180.000 km on the speedo.

This is the video of it:

Even if it's an "undestroyable" V12 engine, in those hypercar circles it's amazing in some way. If I'm not wrong, I think the engine of the Radical got to be "overhauled" after the engine was used every 30h.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
^Its the same car.

And hence Fangio telling Horacio to go with Mercedes.

The factory Zonda has over 1million km's on the clock.

The huayra with i think its 3-4 prototypes covered over million Km's during the development.

So as this is the factory press car im pretty sure that 180K km is about right..

There are even reports on some Zonda owners with crazy ( supercar wise) km's on their Zondas..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking back over this thread a bit, and noting the difference tires can make in lap times, I'm curious: Just what tires were on the Huayra when it made its lap?

Check the Flickr thread referenced below:

The tires as pictured at the Top Gear track have a large outer treadblock pattern which does not match the tires seen on any Huayra press photos, nor the photo on Pagani's page referencing their partnership with Pirelli: Pagani Automobili | Huayra | Pirelli Nor does the pattern seem to match anything in the P Zero range, per Pirelli's website, as far as I can tell.

I'm not even 100% convinced they're even the same tires that the Huayra wore when Mr. Hammond posed with it in the photo below.

In any case, I've examined Rowan Horncastle's photos on that Flickr set closely and not only do I not find any "P Zero" markings, I don't find any branding at all, save for the Pirelli logo and the size.

Has anybody seen these tires, or know what kind they are? Because they seem to be unique on the Huayra at this event.

Attached Images       
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
Will_CA is on a distinguished roadWill_CA is on a distinguished road
Well that's kinda unfair in Pagani put on near race slicks for the lap. The car should've been run on its standard tires. No wonder it ran so much faster than other cars it had been very close to in other tests.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Having seen the Huayra that completed the top gear test I can confirm that it was on street tyres. The tyres construction and formulation is based on the slick tyre used in the Zonda R as the Zonda R was used to develop the suspension for the Huayra. In fact the suspension systems on both cars are exactly the same apart from more street orientated bushing used on the Huayra so as to add refinement to the ride.
So no conspiracy here guys, it really is that fast. Having said that I fully expect that time to be demolished when the McLaren P1 which was developed at the top gear track posts a time

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond repute
PzeroTM Corsa tyres
The Pagani Huayra has been at the Nürburgring, testing the Pirelli PzeroTM Corsa tyres, a new tyre that was developed by Pirelli for the new Pagani. Wearing the new rubber, Pagani pitted the Huayra against a Zonda R wearing slick tyres.

Pirelli says it was trying to replicate the balance and progression that is offered by the Zonda R around the Nürburgring, as well as the high-speed ability - and after a test by company founder Horacio Pagani pleased with the results.

On track, the new Pagani was capable of up to 1.66 lateral G-force, a figure rarely seen outside of motorsport, although no lap official time has yet been released. [Evo - 11th July 2012]

Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by streetrod454
Having seen the Huayra that completed the top gear test I can confirm that it was on street tyres. The tyres construction and formulation is based on the slick tyre used in the Zonda R as the Zonda R was used to develop the suspension for the Huayra. In fact the suspension systems on both cars are exactly the same apart from more street orientated bushing used on the Huayra so as to add refinement to the ride.
So no conspiracy here guys, it really is that fast. Having said that I fully expect that time to be demolished when the McLaren P1 which was developed at the top gear track posts a time
Originally Posted by Tango
PzeroTM Corsa tyres
The Pagani Huayra has been at the Nürburgring, testing the Pirelli PzeroTM Corsa tyres, a new tyre that was developed by Pirelli for the new Pagani. Wearing the new rubber, Pagani pitted the Huayra against a Zonda R wearing slick tyres.

Pirelli says it was trying to replicate the balance and progression that is offered by the Zonda R around the Nürburgring, as well as the high-speed ability - and after a test by company founder Horacio Pagani pleased with the results.

On track, the new Pagani was capable of up to 1.66 lateral G-force, a figure rarely seen outside of motorsport, although no lap official time has yet been released. [Evo - 11th July 2012]
Uh... upon closer inspection, I don't think so.

Take another look at the photo of the Huayra's front tire that I posted, as taken by Rowan Horncastle at the Top Gear track. You can find it on Flickr set referenced above. Go ahead and enlarge it, and you will not find the words "PZero Corsa" anywhere on that tire. What you will find is the size 265/645-19. This is not passenger tire size nomenclature, but rather racing slick size nomenclature.

SLICK, Motorsport Tires - PIRELLI Tires - US

Now go to this page on Pagani's website, and have a read:

Pagani Automobili | Huayra | Pirelli

Guys, right there on Pagani's website, they are telling us that the racing slick tires used on the front of the Zonda R are size 265/645-19. The P Zero tire size that was engineered by Pirelli specifically for the Huayra is supposed to be 255/35ZR19.

Seem like more than the Zonda R's suspension found its way onto the Huayra. The tires that were on the Huayra for the Top Gear Power Lap appear to be Pirelli racing slicks, apparently with hand-carved grooves in them.

That might account for a few seconds, no?

Last edited by mattjs33; 02-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Matt that infor on the Pagani web site is over two years old now and during that time there has been a constant development program with Pirelli on the tyres.

Over the last couple of years I have seen Huraya's on various different sets of rubber.

As I said I saw the car after the test, The tyres had a wavy tread pattern I must admit I had never seen before, they were very much a Corsa type street tyre. I live very locally to the Top Gear track at Dunsfold; I wish I had taken photos to prove it.

Anyway look it this way, on such a short track a slick tyre on a street car may have had about a 1.5 second advantage over a good street tyre. So even if you took 1.5 seconds off their time it still would have been the fastest car they have tested

Last edited by streetrod454; 02-20-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by streetrod454
Matt that infor on the Pagani web site is over two years old now and during that time there has been a constant development program with Pirelli on the tyres.

Over the last couple of years I have seen Huraya's on various different sets of rubber.

As I said I saw the car after the test, The tyres had a wavy tread pattern I must admit I had never seen before, they were very much a Corsa type street tyre. I live very locally to the Top Gear track at Dunsfold; I wish I had taken photos to prove it.

Anyway look it this way, on such a short track a slick tyre on a street car may have had about a 1.5 second advantage over a good street tyre. So even if you took 1.5 seconds off their time it still would have been the fastest car they have tested
That may all be very well so, Street. But if I may...

Even within Rowan Horncastle's single Flickr set, you will see the Huayra on three different sets of tires, each with distinctly different tread patterns. Attached below is a photo of the wavy pattern tires you refer to.

Start at the top of the tire and count tread blocks down to about the 3 o'clock area. On the Power Lap tires you get about four and a half; on the ones you reference you will find more. And if you review the photos you will find the outer tread lines coming to the shoulder at a different angle between the two. Clearly these are two different sets of tires.

I cannot dispute that you were there, or that you sighted the Huayra on the tires you reference, at some point in time. But this is a fair question to ask -- Regardless of what the reason might be, why is the Huayra on a different set of tires when in the Stig's company?

While you consider that, I'll put forth again two facts that we cannot dispute: The tires that the Huayra wore, when pictured with the Stig, do NOT say PZero "anything" on them. They also carry a size designation format which is not used on road tires, but which is specifically cited by Pirelli on their website for use on race tires.

If you have explanations for the above I will gladly consider them with an open mind.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mattjs33; 02-20-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)