Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators

these are my rears after yesterday

what's the consensus on these? A-ok? or should i be worried? have got 13,000 kms (about 8,000 miles) on them. 2nd set of pads, stock.

note the above pics are of the SAME rotor, just different indicators. they don't look the same shade because of the angle.

the front indicators are hardly visible, which is not surprising as the rears are supposed to take more abuse than the front rotors.

so am i just overreacting and i should be fine?

Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 AM
acf
Teamspeed Junior Member
acf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished road
I might be wrong, but from what I remember Mike at RSS telling me the other day, I think circles showing in the rotors means pccbs are worn... I hope im wrong! Anyone?!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Mine are essay past that stage.

When I asked my dealer about them, they say that when the surface area of the little circles are more than 50 % gone, then it time to replace. Howevere I'm past that now, and still going strong on track.

Get the rear brake cooling ducts, that will ease the wear rate a little.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glenn Mc
Mine are essay past that stage.

When I asked my dealer about them, they say that when the surface area of the little circles are more than 50 % gone, then it time to replace. Howevere I'm past that now, and still going strong on track.

Get the rear brake cooling ducts, that will ease the wear rate a little.
thanks! that's useful info.

interesting too though that the min thickness of the rotor is clearly stamped on there. which suggests that determining pccb replacement is some combination of the wear indicator and rotor thickness?

plus maybe i gotta gut some chickens and read the entrails!

damn Porsche, why can't they just make things simple and straightforward!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by hesperus
thanks! that's useful info.

interesting too though that the min thickness of the rotor is clearly stamped on there. which suggests that determining pccb replacement is some combination of the wear indicator and rotor thickness?

plus maybe i gotta gut some chickens and read the entrails!

damn Porsche, why can't they just make things simple and straightforward!
Not seen the rotor thickness stamp, where can i find that ?

As you, my fronts are fine, but the rears are taking a pounding due to so much rear bias, and less cooloing effect.

I may change my rears to steel at some point.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Glenn Mc
Not seen the rotor thickness stamp, where can i find that ?
check out the 2nd picture above. you can clearly see the stamped min thickness as 27.7m

Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Er, who told you the Rears take most ofthe abuse? If that was sincerely true, the REAR rotors would be more substantial then the fronts.

Get those bad boys cooled!!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Er, who told you the Rears take most ofthe abuse? If that was sincerely true, the REAR rotors would be more substantial then the fronts.

Get those bad boys cooled!!
Although the rears don't get nearly the punishment that the fronts do in full deceleration, the rear's get abused through PSM management. The rear pads/rotors are often overlooked and do take a beating especially on the track with PSM, and most drivers don't even know it.

bob

Last edited by bbywu; 03-15-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by bbywu
Although the rears don't get nearly the punishment that the fronts do in full deceleration, the rear's get abused through PSM management. The rear pads/rotors are often overlooked and do take a beating especially on the track with PSM, and most drivers don't even know it.

bob
Spot on !!!

Even with TC switched off, the ABS/ABD ? seems to me messing with the rear brakes.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by hesperus
check out the 2nd picture above. you can clearly see the stamped min thickness as 27.7m
Wow, never noticed that, will check mine.

G.

Quick Reply: back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators