Notices
Ferrari GT Ferrari F12berlinetta, 612, 599, California, 575, & More Discussion Forum.

Barchetta Rim issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Clyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Barchetta Rim issue

Last Spring after taking my 575 out of storage, I was unlucky enough to have hit a really bad pothole which bent the right front rim. My mechanic sent it out to get straightened, and it seemed ok to the point where I tracked my car last summer. This year I needed new tires and just put on a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's (couldn't find Michelin Super Sports unfortunately, they are sold out throughout North America). During the mounting and balancing process the shop that put them on told me that my right front rim is badly bent, and my left front is also wobbly. They showed me on their balancing machine that the left front torques too high and is in the red before balancing. They recommended new rims, which I certainly don't want to do as I have a set of 2 piece 18" Barchetta rims on my 2002 575. Their other recommendation was to contact BBS (the maker of the rims for Ferrari I believe) and see if they will remake a custom set of centres for me, which they may do if i give them the model, VIN #, and year of my car. BBS's USA website is down, under construction, so I can't even contact them to see if they'll do it. Another shop I have spoken to in the meantime, have told me that they may be able to fix the rims as they have dealt with many 2 piece rims that had issues Porsche Cup 2 cars.
I would appreciate other's opinions here to try and assess my next course of action.
Clyde

Attached Images    
Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
madtony is an unknown quantity at this point
How much would it cost to have your rims repaired?

Old 07-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Fortunately I have discovered from the shop that its not the centre part of the 3 piece rim (yes as its turns out these rims are 3 piece, not 2 piece) that is bent, but its the inner outside ring. So its totally fixable. I have been quoted $250 per rim, not bad.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Moving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Clyde
Fortunately I have discovered from the shop that its not the centre part of the 3 piece rim (yes as its turns out these rims are 3 piece, not 2 piece) that is bent, but its the inner outside ring. So its totally fixable. I have been quoted $250 per rim, not bad.
Sounds like a best possible outcome - enjoy!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
After returning from a business trip to China I finally picked up my 575 today after all the work had been completed. I am really happy with the results. Originally I started off just wanting to fix my front rims but then, as is usual with Ferrari related things, I also took the opportunity to do some other work as well.
First the really good news, the shop I brought my car to in Toronto was able to have someone properly repair my 3 piece Barchetta rims to be as good as new . At the same time, I had them lower my car by about 1" (2.5 cm) in the front and 2" (5 cm) at the rear. They put on Hill Engineering 16 mm spacers at the front and 25 mm at the rear to improve the look of the car while being lowered. My 18" wheels always looked like they didn't properly fill the wheel wells before, but now with this new arrangement they look like they should have originally from the factory, properly spaced and really nice inside the wheel wells. In order to further improve the handling with the lowered suspension they put 2 degrees negative camber in the front and 1.5 negative camber at the rear. Front toe-in is 0.15 degrees and rear is 0.20. The improvement in handling was immediately felt with less understeer and more level braking with less front end dive. A side benefit of all this is that for some reason now the car sounds better as well, perhaps because the Tubi exhaust is closer to the ground and resonates more. The icing on the cake of course is that it also looks better. Here's a photo to prove it.

Attached Images