Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

997 Turbo S - Turbos broken & error codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
997 Turbo S - Turbos broken & error codes

Hi All -

Any insight into why would be greatly appreciated -

I have a 2011 997 Turbo S with 17K miles. Car has been serviced regularly and certainly has not been beaten on.

I added an FVD exhaust and a friend installed a EVOMS tune program and the car was great for about two weeks. Car was garaged for about two weeks when I went on vacation on a battery tender.

When I came back from vacation, I noticed the car stopped getting any boost. 0 PSI - which as a turbo owner, you know is a terrible thing.

So, service guy said one turbo had a rod for the vanes which bent and the other turbo seized completely from rust?? They got one turbo repaired but I had to replace the other and it certainly comes at a hefty price tag for a car out of warranty.

Anyone have experience with these types of issues? Is this normal wear and tear? My service guy says this is a fluke happening and it has nothing to do with the exhaust and tune I installed.

Error codes read as follows:
P0234 Boost pressure control limit exceeded
P0607 DME control unit faulty: reset
P1253 Boost pressure adjustment range b1
P1257 Boost pressure adjustment range adjustment unit b2
P1552 Function monitoring: CU fault group a
P1373 Valve lift adjustment - one bank in wrong lift

My other question is around - is this turbo damage something that can be prevented? Is it expected with turbo porsches that the turbos will need to be changed during the life of the car?

Between this and the carbon brakes which I will need to eventually change/service - the cost of ownership of such a "rock solid" car as the Porsche gets a lot higher.

If the boot pressure limit is exceeded one time, can that be the root cause??? I read someplace that these turbos can handle up to thousands of pounds of pressure..... Any insight into the reason why the typically bullet proof turbos in my car were damaged would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

asg

Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Teamspeed Member
erazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud of
Where do you live? Not relevant to your question. But if you are local to CT, I might be able to help.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
Cooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura aboutCooch has a spectacular aura about
Did you ever find out any more info about your turbo failure?