Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Questions about gold

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
brim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of light
Question Questions about gold

Sorry if this is an ignorant thread, but I am looking to add a gold watch as my next purchase. A couple questions have come to mind.

1. Is the value of the gold (by weight) roughly equivalent to the difference in cost from steel? In other words, is the gold in the case worth about $10k (obviously varries from watch to watch)?

2. Is all gold the color that we generally think of (yellowish) and it's plated to make it another color (rose/pink/red/white)? Do white and rose gold watches require re-plating them at some point? If so, how often do you need to do this?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-27-2012, 04:11 AM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
But on a serious note, probably best to talk to Stryke about that.

Colored gold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- more info too

Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Guy Lamotta?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Teamspeed Member
brim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of light
So, it appears that only white gold contains a plating (meaning that it would require re-plating). Anyone had to do that before?

Also, given the cost of gold ($1600/oz), I can't imagine that any watch contains 6oz of pure gold (7oz+ gold alloy) especially without a gold bracelet. Anyone think I'm off? I would guess it's closer to 1 or maybe 2 oz.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by brim
1. Is the value of the gold (by weight) roughly equivalent to the difference in cost from steel?
No, and I don't think it's even close in most cases.

The profit margins are probably roughly the same. A 500% markup on a gold watch turns out to a much higher retail price than a 500% markup on a steel watch.

Just my guess anyways.

Here's some info on a Rolex Day-Date I found Rolex Metals

Looks like there's around $4000 worth of gold in one at todays prices.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by brim
So, it appears that only white gold contains a plating (meaning that it would require re-plating). Anyone had to do that before?

Also, given the cost of gold ($1600/oz), I can't imagine that any watch contains 6oz of pure gold (7oz+ gold alloy) especially without a gold bracelet. Anyone think I'm off? I would guess it's closer to 1 or maybe 2 oz.
White gold is made by mixing metals, not plating. Palladium, silver, or nickel could be used