Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Opinions & Judgements

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Opinions & Judgements

https://teamspeed.com/forums/watch-f...s-talk-me.html

This thread got me thinking about TS Members, WIS and regular non watch lovers opinions and judgements.

Obviously you don't know someone by the watch they wear, yet watch guys seem to make quick judgements about people by their watch. Marketing seems to play into this quite a bit.

I was curious to see how you guys feel about this. Do you judge people by their watch alone? Their watch and clothes? Car? It is natural to judge and sometimes happens faster than we like but do you make a conscientious decision to ignore your judgements?

We hear -
"oh another douche with a gold rolex/AP Roo"
"That's a classy guy with a Patek/Lange"

Watch companies use marketing and advertising to sell an image. But do you believe it? How real is it? There are rich guys who don't care about what's on their wrist and guys who can just swing their watch but have a deep love for them. For some its cars, gadgets, guns and whatever else. So how much does your watch really say? You could be a complete arrogant prick and wear only the classiest of watches and you could be a very humble easy going fellow who just loves watches and wears the gold rolex/ AP Roo cause you love them.

Do you ever worry that others are judging you for your watch choice? Do you have a few watches and think I better wear my less expensive/less flashy watch so I won't be judged?

I know why I pick my watches. I do have a yellow gold rolex daytona (to some the douchiest watch) but I find it stunning. I could stare at it all day. The color of the gold, the combination of brushed and polished links. The way the yellowish/gold sub dials stand out on the black face with the red markings. The daytona was the first expensive watch (over a $500) that I wanted. I saw a client of mine wearing one and I had hear about Paul Newman, the racing history, I'm a car fanatic and love going to the racetrack. I'm not rich, Im a personal trainer and do alright for myself. But I have not worn it to places because I know Ill be judged or assumed to be rich or possibly a douche! lol. I dress casual 99% of the time and am typically in shorts and a t-shirt.

There is no question there are what I would call D-bags who buy a watch because they want to portray an image of wealth, to be thought of as money, gangster or bling. Whatever your description of a D-bag is. But how do you know just by looking which type the guy you are looking at is?

So to sum it up I just really wanted people to think about it and to let me know their opinion on the subjects I touched on. I'm not a great writer or a watch historian, but just a watch lover who has been learning and trying to learn more and more.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Allow me to illustrate my thoughts on this matter:

Patek:

ROO:

Livestrong armband:

Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
funny thing...

I had the same thought reading that thread

I mean,of course there is a certain tendency that the guy wearing a specific watch has similar characteristics as the watch suggests(e.g. outgoing and flashy or simple und subtle etc) but in general I do get a first impression by the looks of a person but never judge him by that

but it`s rather safe to say that some 80% of people write you off to be like this or that depending on how you present yourself in public
(for example here it was a long time like..,driving a 911 = being a "rich" arrogant guy how has to compensate certain weaknesses )

Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
This thread got me thinking. Why is the OP's post not in this other thread?
https://teamspeed.com/forums/off-top...-thread-7.html

Seriously. If you honestly love your watches, and honestly dont care what other people think, then wear them with pride, post them with pride and smile at the haters. Lord knows the guys aroundmhere with AP' ROO's, some of which are long time, highly respected members, don't make long posts commenting/complaining about what some otner people might say about AP ROO watches. They have their reasons for buying and wearing them, and they wear them and post pics of them with pride.

You sound like you are worrying too much about what other people think of your choices, which is treading very close to the very essence of d-baggery.....right

Last edited by BigE; 04-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't judge people on their watch/cars, it doesn't work. When I worked at land rover we would have people come in and buy a used truck for $40k, and find out he is the owner of a $100m+ company. At the same time someone making $100k would try to come and Finance a brand new rover (wearing a Rolex)

Last edited by TeutonicCarFan; 04-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by BigE
This thread got me thinking. Why is the OP's post not in this other thread?
https://teamspeed.com/forums/off-top...-thread-7.html

Seriously. If you honestly love your watches, and honestly dont care what other people think, then wear them with pride, post them with pride and smile at the haters. Lord knows the guys aroundmhere with AP' ROO's, some of which are long time, highly respected members, don't make long posts commenting/complaining about what some otner people might say about AP ROO watches. They have their reasons for buying and wearing them, and they wear them and post pics of them with pride.

You sound like you are worrying too much about what other people think of your choices, which is treading very close to the very essence of d-baggery.....right
I hear you. But I did no complaining. I simply asked for others opinions on the subject. And many members here who post a lot say they dont buy or like certain brands due to the image they portray so it made me curious.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
contract neg repper for hire
mafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I hear you. But I did no complaining. I simply asked for others opinions on the subject. And many members here who post a lot say they dont buy or like certain brands due to the image they portray so it made me curious.
I have often found that asking for the opinions of others, especially on a forum really doesn't help, but only gives you other things to think about. You get so many varieties of opinions that it just muddles things up even more in my opinion. I am with BigE, if you really like it, go for it. If you are going to be concerned about what people think when you wear it though, maybe buy something else on your want list and wait and see if you still want it down the road.

I always say do what you want and buy things you like. If people judge you incorrectly that is their problem, not yours.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Wear what you like end of story.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Marc
Wear what you like end of story.
Exactly. As long as you enjoy it.. who cares what anyone else thinks.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
mannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond repute
Rolex, and let that be the end of it

Quick Reply: Opinions & Judgements