Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Bought a watch winder recently. Need to fill the empty space! and got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Bought a watch winder recently. Need to fill the empty space! and got some questions

Bought the watch winder from Brookstone for $250. I just didnt see the need to spend a boat load of money on a super fancy one. Maybe one day, but I think this one looks decent for the price and does the job just fine for now.

Also wanted to know how people set their winders. It has different setting to adjust the timing between rotations and clockwise, counter clockwise or both directions. Anyone have recommendation or reasons why to set it a certain way?

Have 3 of 4 spots filled and I have this itch to fill the empty space!!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great! I would search online about watch winder settings. Depending on the movement, some wind better with different setting. I think my iwc winds better with unidirectional (I looked up once).

Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Looks great! I would search online about watch winder settings. Depending on the movement, some wind better with different setting. I think my iwc winds better with unidirectional (I looked up once).
Thank you

Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Winders are one of the worst things you can do for a watch its a gimic for the layman, the only thing that you need to keep in a winder is very complicated Perp Calendars that are hard to set if they go dead.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Member
AdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond reputeAdamC has a reputation beyond repute
Or, alternatively, you're lazy and want to just have your watches ready to wear & a nice attractive place to showcase them. Winders have their place.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AdamC
Or, alternatively, you're lazy and want to just have your watches ready to wear & a nice attractive place to showcase them. Winders have their place.
They don't imitate the motion of a wrist and to constantly wind a watch isn't the best thing for it, I have plenty of friends with very large watch collections that don't use a winder it is something newbies to watch collecting get excited about.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Marc
Winders are one of the worst things you can do for a watch its a gimic for the layman, the only thing that you need to keep in a winder is very complicated Perp Calendars that are hard to set if they go dead.
They don't imitate the motion of a wrist and to constantly wind a watch isn't the best thing for it, I have plenty of friends with very large watch collections that don't use a winder it is something newbies to watch collecting get excited about.
Im admittedly a newb, so I appreciate any info. A "watch guy" told me that it is good for the watch because it keeps them lubricated, that when they just sit the oil on the gears doesnt get moved around and just sits. The idea made sense to me, Above you said "its the worst thing you can do for a watch" how come??? I dont want to be hurting them, I just cant imagine it being bad for them, if they can take wrist movement id think they can take some basic rotations? I appreciate any feed back as im just thinking out loud.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Don't modern winders cycle where they aren't on all day?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Good question because it seemed as though some of my watches stopped sooner when on the winder then just sitting still.
By the way, love the WG daytona and JLC. I might be selling my PAM 312 if you are looking for a PAM.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Im admittedly a newb, so I appreciate any info. A "watch guy" told me that it is good for the watch because it keeps them lubricated, that when they just sit the oil on the gears doesnt get moved around and just sits. The idea made sense to me, Above you said "its the worst thing you can do for a watch" how come??? I dont want to be hurting them, I just cant imagine it being bad for them, if they can take wrist movement id think they can take some basic rotations? I appreciate any feed back as im just thinking out loud.

That is true it is never good to let your watches sit, the oil can dry out and then you will be in for a service.

Quick Reply: Bought a watch winder recently. Need to fill the empty space! and got some questions