Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Educate me... Tudor

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011 | 05:07 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Educate me... Tudor

A dear dear friend passed a Tudor on to me... he insisted that I would be the right person to have and appreciate the piece.
It's a Tudor with a Rolex Date-Day movement from the 70s, the crown is a Rolex crown and the back case it by Rolex...
That's about all I know, what's the deal? Rolex did not place this movement in any of their SS piece yet they placed it in this Tudor... Why? When did they stop?

Here is the piece

Will try to post up close up pix when I am back on the island

Old 09-11-2011 | 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
mannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond repute
It does look a lot like a Rolex

Old 09-11-2011 | 08:45 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Know nothing other than the brand being created by the founder of Rolex to sell cheaper watches. The earlier ones have more Rolex DNA than that modern ones IIRC.

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
It's a Tutor Rolex. In the 60's, 70's and 80's Tutor used Rolex cases, crowns, crystals and in some cases, bracelets. Each signed as such. I am not aware of Tudor using Rolex movements at any time however. To my knowledge, Rolex has always had 3rd party manufacturers like AS and ETA built movements to their specifications for Tudor watches.

Beauty of a watch, looks like an 80's ref 70170

Last edited by ctzn; 09-11-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2011 | 01:12 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ctzn
It's a Tutor Rolex. In the 60's, 70's and 80's Tutor used Rolex cases, crowns, crystals and in some cases, bracelets. Each signed as such. I am not aware of Tudor using Rolex movements at any time however. To my knowledge, Rolex has always had 3rd party manufacturers like AS and ETA built movements to their specifications for Tudor watches.

Beauty of a watch, looks like an 80's ref 70170
I am assuming its a rolex movement cause I have never seen anyone else have a date-day that changes at the stroke of midnight... and the way the adjustment is done (time/day/date) felt rolexy

Old 09-13-2011 | 02:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Wrong.

The Tudor dynasty or House of Tudor was a European royal house of Welsh origin that ruled the Kingdom of England and its realms, including the Lordship of Ireland, from 1485 until 1603.

Don't you guys know anything! Geesh.

Last edited by Barrister; 09-13-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2011 | 03:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by GrayTT
I am assuming its a rolex movement cause I have never seen anyone else have a date-day that changes at the stroke of midnight... and the way the adjustment is done (time/day/date) felt rolexy
That may be due to the fact that the caliber used (ETA 2834-2) was built to Rolex specs and are modified by Rolex (winder), and is "top" grade rating from ETA. I am fairly positive that Tudor watches have never used Rolex calibers. This may be a good read for you.