Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

In the market for a PAM 88.... Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011 | 01:43 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
JasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant future
In the market for a PAM 88.... Couple questions

Hey Guys,

as the title states I've been searching all over for a PAM 88. Found a couple and was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on what you think is the better option. This will be my first "nice" watch. I've owned/currently own a few Tag's and the likes but it's time to step up the game.

I live in CT and there aren't too many AD's in the state. my local store in town is an AD and they don't have one in stock and don't know when they will get one. Found another place down in Greenwich, CT with a brand new one that I can get for about 15% off but will have to pay 6% state tax. (Out the door about $6500)

The second one i found was pre-owned, about 3 years old, all boxes, papers and everything. It's in TX and is for sale for $5600 obo from a very reputable store. I could probly get it for low $5k's.

what do you think is the better route? Spend the extra $1,000 or so for a brand new watch and have it depreciate a bit on me but have no stories or save myself some money and tax and get a nice pre-owned that someone else took the initial hit on?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the newb type questions I just want to make the right decision on the new purchase. Either way I'm excited to get the new watch on my wrist.

Jason

Old 06-23-2011 | 03:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Buy pre-owned. I always try to. Why not get the depreciation out of it.

Watches are fixable - check references and if good, there is nothing wrong with a pre-loved timepiece!

Best,

asg

Old 06-23-2011 | 04:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
my 1st and 3rd watches were bought from an AD

my 2nd and 4th from an independent

my 5th and 6th up to 100th will be through an independent/preowned for sure

watches are marked up just like cars, in the end, you don't want to pay that extra for nothing

Old 06-23-2011 | 08:34 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!JeffL You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
the only thing I can add is J series and on have the new quick change strap change system. J series started 3-4 years ago? Makes a pretty big difference especially with a PAM no chance of scratches during strap changes.

Might be worth looking for that. I hate messing around with the tiny screw drivers and screw heads. and part of owning a PAM is buying 100's of straps.

Old 06-24-2011 | 09:53 AM
|
Teamspeed Member
JasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant futureJasonE30m3 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JeffL
the only thing I can add is J series and on have the new quick change strap change system. J series started 3-4 years ago? Makes a pretty big difference especially with a PAM no chance of scratches during strap changes.

Might be worth looking for that. I hate messing around with the tiny screw drivers and screw heads. and part of owning a PAM is buying 100's of straps.
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind when I look.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm gonna go the pre-owned route.

Old 07-05-2011 | 06:01 PM
GOB
Teamspeed Junior Member
GOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond repute
As an ex owner of a PAM88, definitely go the second hand route. I had one, liked it, never loved it, sold it, and was an OK experience. Make sure to try it on first and think how you will wear it. That high polish finish sure scratches easily.

Old 07-05-2011 | 06:08 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure the pre owned doesn't need service my Pam 88 needed it year 3 or 4. Its a month or so gone and 500 bucks

Still love mine as much as my others

Old 07-06-2011 | 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant futurerocketman has a brilliant future
Should go between $4800-5500 depending on condition.

Here's a link for a PAM 88 that is for sale on a competing site.

Good luck !

Im' selling my Pam 88. Confused on pricing... - 6speedonline.com Forums

Old 07-07-2011 | 02:40 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up buying a PAM 104 (same movement and basic watch as the PAM 88 minus the GMT function)

Got a great deal on a pre-owned one that was just serviced and had all boxe's papers etc. I just couldn't pass it up.

thanks again for all the input. Definitely kept me from overpaying.

Old 07-07-2011 | 02:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the club!!

Quick Reply: In the market for a PAM 88.... Couple questions