Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Ethics as a seller

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ctzn
I usually have a fear of losing a buyer if I ask them to cover all the fees. Great advice though on being more upfront in the original ad.

Does it turn you off as a buyer if you see that you must pick up PP/shipping fees?
You're not asking them, you're telling them the conditions where they will have to pay more or less money for the watch. I always say "wire or paypal +3% to cover costs". This lets the buyer know that they are making the choice to paypal. And besides, I always specify that I will not ship the watch until the funds clear paypal and then get transferred to my account. No way in hell I'm letting paypal lock up my money and sending my watch off. The buyer is paying more money for ZERO reason when using paypal in a watch transaction.

Originally Posted by ljg
It pisses me off a bit when I see that nickle and diming. Even worse for low dollar items where the paypal fee is no more than a couple of bucks...

No business charges me (except for the ludicrous NJ gas stations) to pay with a card. No different online, I think it should factor into the price of the sale. Of course a local, cash buyer could get a discount, but if you put the ad to the world, I would say it is reasonable to expect that you will be shipping.
Depending on the watch, it's probably not a "low dollar item where the paypal fee is no more than a couple of bucks..."

As to your second point, there is a big difference. I don't charge people more when they use a credit card at my place of business either. But this isn't a business, it's a hobbyist selling something online.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know about the watch thing, but I'm more concerned that your fiance "chewed you out good" for losing $300...

Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
I don't know about the watch thing, but I'm more concerned that your fiance "chewed you out good" for losing $300...
Our wedding is in a few months and we're paying for it. I know $300 isn't a lot of money, but every bit helps.

Thanks for all the great advice guys, a lot to think about moving forward.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
No worries, man.

Wominz get crazy over weddings; I know from experience.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
No worries, man.

Wominz are crazy over everything; I know from experience.
Fixed it for ya

Old 05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless... a deal is a deal
You did the right thing

Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
You know my story about the watch deal I lost $2200 on a few months back. I won't EVER sell to an overseas buyer again without the following: A-the $$ in my bank account or PayPal confirmed, B-them covering the PayPal fees, C-Express (FedEx, DHL, whatever) shipping paid for by the buyer, with full insurance and signature confirmation, and D-a hell of a "warm fuzzy" and some good references.

Beyond that, once I have a deposit, or a "for sure" confirmation email that they want the watch, it is theirs so long as I have the $$ within 48 hours or as soon as PayPal clears. Amir bought my Rolex, sight unseen, a few months back, had the $$ in my account within 20 minutes, and had to wait 47 days to get it from me at our SoCal GTG. That is how deal should go down, minus the long wait on his end.

Last edited by SoCal; 05-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Depending on the watch, it's probably not a "low dollar item where the paypal fee is no more than a couple of bucks..."

As to your second point, there is a big difference. I don't charge people more when they use a credit card at my place of business either. But this isn't a business, it's a hobbyist selling something online.
I meant low dollar for Paypal transactions in general.

Re: the difference - yes, I understand that a private seller is not a business (neither is a private seller on eBay) but they have to charge the same whether it is Paypal or not...also charging fees does violate the Paypal user agreement (just like it would the merchant agreement at your business), but I guess it is impossible for Paypal to know unless reported.

4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Last edited by ljg; 05-12-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
Call me old fashioned but I would never allow my girl to make a comment about money nor would she ever. I feel her place is to take care of our family and my place is to make sure money is there. I don't question her on how laundry is done or how the kids are fed, she doesn't question me on spending or business decisions. Sorry for the little rant and I know it is an old fashioned way of looking at family life but there's a reason it worked for thousands of years. I always cringe when a guy wants to buy something and says, "I have to discuss it with my wife".